Wear ring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear ring question

I apologize in advance for the long post. I just bought my first seadoo. It's a 00 xp. Guy says it runs great. Went to get it, looked at the prop(looked great) and checked the compresion(125 on both cyl, good?) paid they guy and left. Got it home and started it up and the tach just pegged to 8000rpms. Do some searching and find a lot of high rpm problems related to wear rings. So I go back out and crawl under it and look at the prop and it looks like the only part of the wear ring that is left is about 2-3in around. Started to get ticked. Went inside and did some more reading. From what I gather the clearance between the outside of the prop blades and the inside of the wear ring is suposed to be no greater than .040 ?. It looks like mine is over an 1/8! Now I'm fuming. Call the guy the next morning and he says it always does the idle thing until you put it in the water and it ran fine the last time out. Next day I go to the lake and low and behold the thing runs like a scalded dog. I have seen many posts saying that their motors are turning high rpms, but the ski doesn't go or goes slow and the answer seems to be a wore out wear ring. My question is if my wear ring is mostly missing how is it running so good(60 on the dreammeter)? Also it idles about 2000 in the water. What could be causing such a difference in and out of the water? Any other things to check out would be appriciated.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Wear ring question

You need a wear ring, no doubt, but the high idle is a different and un-related issue. You may have an air leak after the carburetor.... clogged up carburetors.....clogged up fuel system....throttle cable too tight....idle screw set too high....binding throttle cable....You need to figure out what the cause is, because several of these conditions can destroy a PWC engine in a blink of an eye.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

John is correct, It must slip out of the hole. wear ring is shot
      94 gtx, 96XP, 97XP,04 GTC SC,05 RXT & RXP

Comment

Had an issue with a broken fuel T. While I was there I checked into the idleing issue. Previous owner must have messed with the throttle cable. It was very tight, to tight holding the throttle valve about a 1/4in away from the idle screw. Readjusted it and idles great. I am going to tear into the jet pump this week and fix the wear ring and just rebuild the pump while I'm in there. After getting the idle fixed took out the doo and could feel the "stalling" out of the hole. It was just pegging the rev limiter about 10 times before finaly taking off hard.

Comment

New wear ring in and WOW. Whole new Doo. This thing flys now. How accurate are the factory speedos? It was going 62 on the speedo. Not much faster top end, but with the trim all the way up the thing will come almost all the way out of the water on the hole shot. It's crazy.

Thanks

Comment

Was it hard to change by the way and what did you rebuild in the jet pump.

Comment

Working...
            X