96 gtx won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 gtx won't start.

Just replaced motor with an SBT787. I have fuel,spark and compression. Still doesn't start. Have timed rotary valve. Does anyone have pix of an instaled rotary valve at TDC? Have moved rotary valve every direction. Still no start. New starter,new battery, new battery cables, new plugs, new gas. Help.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Re: 96 gtx won't start.

A common mistake is to forget to plug in the mag housing connector, or the small black wire from the coil box to the negative terminal on the battery.

If your sparkplugs have spark when you crank over the motor, try pouring a couple tablespoonfuls of gas into each sparkplug hole, replace the sparkplugs and it will fire up if the ignition timing and the rotary valve timing are both set correctly.

If it starts then dies, make sure you connected the pulse line to the carb fuel pump and that you did not reverse the fuel lines on the carbureator.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Bill,
      Mag housing is connected with new connector.
      All fuel lines connected correctly.
      Is ignition timing set through the computer?
      I'm not getting 10.5 at the starter.
      Cranks fine good voltage without the plugs in.
      When the plugs are in it doesn't want to turn over.

Comment

Check battery, and connections, possible bad starter.... also the mag cup on the flywheel is timmed as well, if you removed the cup to remove flywheel, and did not put it back in the correct spot, the timing will be WAY off and limit the cranking

Comment

Also, with the MAG side piston at TDC the rotary valve shold cover the PTO side port, as long as it is close, it should still run...there are nice pics on this site. You want to make sure you get that rotary valve timmed correctly tho.

Comment

WOW! The engine just kicked back and snapped the starter shaft. What does that mean. Other then I need to buy another new starter?
            Engine was trying to start up until that point.:(

Comment

wow!!! sounds like a timing issue. That to me seems like its the magnetic cup attached to the flywheel, held on with 5 or 6 small allens, is in the wrong posistion, either that you have a major fuel problem

Comment

Working...
              X