Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive Oil...everywhere

1997 Gsx (787cc)

I just bought this ski. The last owner told me it runs great for about 10 minutes, then bogs down in the water. I bought it planning on rebuilding the carbs and replacing the crank seals, and I'm in the process of doing that job...but as I pulled the engine out I found that there is excessive black oil all over the place. The exhaust has heavy oil...the RAVE has heavy oil...it just doesn't look right.

Any ideas on what would cause this?

Thanks.

Re: Excessive Oil...everywhere

over oiling due to a broken oil pump would cause an excessive amount of oil to be deposited into the cyls, eventually fouling the plugs and making the motor bog.

When the oil pumps fail, like when the oil pump cable snaps, the oil pump defaults to WIDE open..
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Originally posted by dsolie View Post
      over oiling due to a broken oil pump would cause an excessive amount of oil to be deposited into the cyls, eventually fouling the plugs and making the motor bog.

When the oil pumps fail, like when the oil pump cable snaps, the oil pump defaults to WIDE open..

Sounds like a likely culprit...I'll take a good look at it tonight...thx!

Comment

Is it also possible that the oil is coming from the oil bath for the rotary valve?

Comment

Yes, it is. But usually that oil is not black and "oily" it's usually clean(er). Depending on the type of oil that is used, of course.

In your original post, you said you were going to replace the crank seals. The inner crank seals are the ones that separate the rotary bath from the piston/rod area. These inner seals are NOT serviceable. They cannot be replaced unless you know a VERY experienced crank builder, and one who has the proper jigs for a SD crank.

The best way to find out if the inner crank seals are failing is to clean out the lower cases, and put fresh oil in the rotary bath and oil tank... Wait a few days and see if the cases are full of oil.. If they are, then there's your problem.
          Dan Solie -
          94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

CORRECT!!!

The throttle cable to the oil pump had come off and the oil pump was wide open. Problem solved. Thanks!

Comment

Wow! You just saved yourself a bunch o' $$!! Hook it back up and RIDE!
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Yes...YOU did save me a bunch of $$$. It still needs a new wear ring which will arrive tomorrow, then VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

Comment

Glad I could help! Happy riding.
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                  X