1997 speedster flywheel bent after new starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 speedster flywheel bent after new starter

I installed an aftermarket starter in my port motor after I realized it was the culprit of my latest problem. After installing I noticed it binded up the motor and upon removal once again I noticed the ring gear was somewhat chewed and the new starter had been chewed as well. Turns out it was 3mm to long on the nose cone. Long story short I installed sb starter in the port side and cranked to see if it was the starter or the engine. The engine starts but it sounds horrible. It struggles to stay running and the starter sounds funny engaging. I'm pretty sure the flywheel is bent. My question is, could my front crank bearing have caused all these issues? How do I check the fly wheel and or the front crank bearing? How do I remove the flywheel? I'm fairly handy but this is my first pwc(boat) I loved how she ran when I had it out all of 2 times this year. I don't want to have to sell this boat any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 1997 speedster flywheel bent after new starter

You could have a sheared flywheel key...

To pull / check the flywheel, pull the front cover...

www.seadoomanuals.net for your manual.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Downloaded shop manual thankyou very much! Which model covers speedtser? I know tehre is only one shop manaul but what is the technical name for a 97 speedster? SD ?

Comment

None of those are specifically for the speedster, but most of them share the same motor, the 787. The 97xp, will have similar characteristics.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Originally posted by dsolie View Post
          None of those are specifically for the speedster, but most of them share the same motor, the 787. The 97xp, will have similar characteristics.
          By the looks of my flywheel mag cover I have to pull this engine before I can even open the cover? Wow what a PITA anything else i should do after I have this engine out? Carb kit, head port polish? Has anyone seen any bent flywheels as apposed to chewed ring gears?

Comment

Dan 97 Speedster has 717 engines.

Comment

Originally posted by skisol View Post
              Dan 97 Speedster has 717 engines.
              Thanks Ski... I should have caught that since I worked on one a month ago lol...
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Thanks Ski... I should have caught that since I worked on one a month ago lol...
                and the link you meant to give is ??????? Turns out Im porbably going to take it to the dealer, the whole engine shimming and pump alignment makes me not want to attempt this job. i think im going to sell this bad boy after i get it back maybe??:(

Comment

Working...
                X