New 717 and cant turn Flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 717 and cant turn Flywheel

Just got my SBT rebuilt installed on my 2003 Seadoo GTI LE and was double checking every hose and connection. Decided to give the flywheel a turn and make sure everything was smooth and it will not turn. Put a pair of Channel locks on it and could spin either way about a half of turn. So didnt even try to start it. What can be the prolem and what do I do from here.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Re: New 717 and cant turn Flywheel

Each engine SBT sends out the door is compression tested, So we know it did turn over here, Check your flywheel and starter assembly, some thing is binding it up.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Should I start taking the rear back apart by the pump and see if that loosens something up or start with the starter? Just trying to make this easy, painless and fast.

Comment

The easiest is to remove the pump and see if it turns over.

Comment

Got the rotary valve off and was caught on something in there. So while I was at it I went ahead and added the oil pump block off kit. Got it all back together and will not start. Followed the Technical page and battery had about 12.6 V, took the plugs out and would turn freely by hand, and now checked the solenoid.

I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver and the engine acts as if it is trying to start. This means it is bad, correct? Why wouldn't the engine still start? Is there a safety the engine goes into. Just trying to make sure this is correct. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

The solenoid being bad would depend on what happens when you push the start button, does it click? Do the gauges light up? Do you have power to the MPEM?
            Dan Solie -
            04 RXP (the "Instigator")
            94 xp (freestyle mods)
            95 xp (faster than the 94)
            JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

The engines does click. Its like if I try 5 times, 2 of the 3 times it will try to start and the other 3 just the click. I do get the 2 beeps every time but just can't get it to start.

Anything else to try before getting a new solenoid? Thanks

Comment

What is the battery voltage while you are cranking? It must be 10.5 volts to fire the engine.

Comment

Never goes below 11.

Comment

solenoid is your best bet, but it could be a ground etc too.
                    Dan Solie -
                    94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Alright solenoid seemed to help as the engine turned over great. Then another problem. Had fuel leak in the bottom of the hull. Had a small slice on one of the carb hoses that I never messed with.

So got the hose replaced and now my question. Can I just try to start the engine out of water at the house and then hook up the hose (if it starts) without putting on the Air Silencer? That way I can cheack all connections for leaks and adjust carb if needed. Just making sure it wouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks

Comment

Yup, just dont run it for too long.

Also, if you carbs are tuned on the edge, be prepared for a runaway motor, where it revs out of control. If this happens, it's NO BIG DEAL, just calm down, yank the lanyard and open the throttle ALL THE WAY. It will choke it self out.
                        Dan Solie -
                        94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

New update. Followed Dsolie's advice and tried starting the engine without the air silencer so I would be able to see everything. Well I could see and found out what the problem has been. There is a crack on the block right above where the rotary valve cover connects. Called SBT this morning and still waiting to see what to do for the warranty issue. Couldn't have been anything worse. After so many hours working on this thing and now have to remove the engine and start the process over. Will continue to update.

Thanks

Comment

That sucks... Good thing you have a warranty!!!
                            Dan Solie -
                            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                            X