Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Tec mystery - head gasket theory

Hello All and sorry for the long post -

This spring I bought a 2002 GTX 4-Tec not running and in tough shape(bought it cheap and really wanted the double trailer it sat on). It would barely turn over, at the time I was told it had a "weak" starter. I bought an SBT starter and ended up with basically the same problem, but did get it started twice with fresh battery charges.

SBT Tech support suggested the timing was off and pointed me in the right direction to fix it which was a huge help, thanks again guys. It was off 3-4 teeth; fixed it; starts easily and runs smoothly now. No big plumes of white smoke (steam).

Other evidence:
    1) Compression was 175-175-180 with mystery oil in cylinders and before I redid the timing. Have not rechecked but should be the same.
    2) Machine came to me with brand new oil
    3) Under the valve cover there is a little bit of creamy oil in the corners
    4) The ride plate is badly rotted, when I drained it there was lots of creamy oil in the cooling system. I keep flushing it with a hose in the overflow bottle and the drain plug out while running. It flows with lots of gunk for a while then run clear, but the next time I do it oily gunk again.
    5) A bit of creamy oil is backflowing out the hose by the oil fill and into the air intake hose

So, my theory is that this machine blew a head gasket and whoever replaced it did not set the timing correctly. Then again could be a cracked head or bad gasket, the "mechanic" saw it put it back together; screw the timing and sold it to me.

Hard for me to beleive that someone replaced a timing chain in that they had the knowledge to do all that and did not set the timing properly.

My thoughts on next steps are:
    1) Retork the head bolts
    2) Change the oil at least once
    3) Fix the ride plate

Advice, thoughts, other theories????

Re: 4-Tec mystery - head gasket theory

You are also going to want to check your oil cooler... If those things rust on the inside, it will mix your oil and cooling together as well.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
    X