sea water on spark plugs gtx di 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sea water on spark plugs gtx di 2000

i have a 2000 gtx di which has supposedly had the engine rebuilt, put new plugs in it and ran it on the water for a few minutes and it pulled fine and revved to about 7000 revs, then it started dying and managed to limp back while cutting out a couple of times. Dealer hooked it up to the machine and showed no fault codes. I took the ski home and took the plugs out and there was a small amount of water on each plug which i dried off with a small soldering gas torch, i tasted the plug and it is salty. I realise the engine is taking in water on both cylinders to have done this but would like to know what you think is the probable cause, are there any common problem areas that would have caused this? Any ideas greatfully received and listened to

Thanks in advance

Re: sea water on spark plugs gtx di 2000

do a compression test, could be several diffrent things, o-ring,gasket, update us on the compression
    94 gtx, 96XP, 97XP,04 GTC SC,05 RXT & RXP

Comment

Did you go over a lot of waves? Was there any water in the hull? You could have simply sucked up some water..
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

i will get a compression test done, it seems to have good compression when i cranked it over with the plugs out tho

there was very little water in the hull and there wasnt really any waves i was in the harbour so i doubt it would have sucked it up

ive got a horrible feeling when the engine was rebuilt that the bloke who did it either done it wrong or maybe re-used something with a crack in it

the only good thing is that at present it is only a very tiny amount of water and hopefully hasnt done any bad damage, the engines still runs fine out of the water and i have really lubed it up since

but nonetheless its enough water to stop it running properly and a problem that needs fixing, im just hoping its not a complete strip down and rebuild

Comment

Did a compression test, just over 8 Bar or 120 pound per square inch on both cylinders, and about the same each side, no more than 5 pound different anyway.

Hope that gives you some idea, hopefully you can give me some feedback.

One thing i have remembered that is since the engine was allegedly rebuilt it has operated for about 3 or 4 hours i would guess at low revs to run the engine in, and i do know the cylinder head has not been re-torqued down at all since it was put back in. Could that affect it?

Thanks in anticipation for your advice.

Comment

You need to perform a trailer test. back the ski down into the water, leaving it strapped. Run it for a while, get the motor nice and warm and look for leaks.

Who rebuilt the motor?
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

The engine wasnt rebuilt at a dealer but somebody working from home, when u say look for leaks where do you mean? As the water is on the plugs i.e where the spark is made inside the engine, i dont see how looking for leaks with the engine running is going to help me. But i can try if you tell me what to look for.

I would have thought this sea water was getting into the engine through either a cracked engine part or a poor seal or gasket. But im darned if i know how to find out where,

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Look at any area seawater is at... Motor, pipe, cooling lines etc. It will be noticeable (usually) since it's under pressure, it will be spraying.
                Dan Solie -
                94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

since its a Di the air compressor can cause this prob .Been there.

Comment

Working...
                  X