Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyester or Epoxy for large repair?

Hey Folks,

My '05 RXP lost about 40% of the gelcoat on one ride. My insurance company is going to cover it as a repair shop said it had to have started from an impact and in fact it did have a deep scratch in the hull before.

One shop will use expoxy resins in the process. The other shop is significantly higher and will be using polyester.

One one is recommended or does it matter?

Thanks for the help!
    Steve

Re: Polyester or Epoxy for large repair?

It's not your fault (probably). The 04 & 05 RXP's have been known to delaminate. It's a WELL documented issue with many RXP owners. BRP isn't taking any blame either.

I would use the epoxy resins, make SURE they dry out the hull well. You may want to go over to www.greenhulk.com and ask in the 4-tec performance section about what all the shop is going to need to do. Usually, there is some additional cutting and patching from the inside as well (motor and all have to come out).
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

On one of the other forums some guys recommended I part it out instead of repair it.

What do you guys think? What do you think I might get for the parts?

I'm a pretty mechanic but figuring out what to sell and where and how to sell it would be a whole new thing for me.

Comment

Motor is worth 3k+, ECU / MPEM and harness worth a bit, pump 3-400... Parting it out, you can probably get 4-5k..

Be prepared to take A LOT of pics and have a lot of questions asked... The other forum (PWCToday) is the sister site to this one, it's the worlds largest forum...

Another forum to sell parts at (especially 4-TEC parts) is www.greenhulk.net

If you feel like driving it over to Olympia, I can "broker" the part out for you, handle the dis-assembly, marketing and shipping of all the parts. I have done it for a few people before. I have really good rep on all the major forums.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

How would that work? Can I contact you by email?

Comment

dans@designbyothers.com
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

im surprised to see somebody using polyester resin, you want them to use a good high quality expoxy resin, west system brand is the only thing i use, though ive never seen the rxp delam before, but i do have alot of experience with resins. Are they using typical E Glass on these hulls? Seems kevlar would be the best choice on such a high speed hull, kevlar has INCREDIBLE impact resistance, this is why its used alot in drag boats.

Comment

Polyester epoxy is just cheap epoxy. As much as they use in a boat hull that is understandable. Go with the epoxy vs polyester.
                The gelcoat is just the paintjob on the fiberglass (in a sense). They spray the gelcoat on the mold first and then lay up the fiberglass. Sounds like the gelcoat did not adhere well.

Comment

There was a series of bad molds that caused a common issue of this.. SD of course won't admit it.. But when you have 100's of hulls delam'ing, and causes have been found, SD still wont admit fault.
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                  X