97 GTI Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GTI Engine swap

I have a 97 GTI with a 720 engine that needs to be rebuilt (water got into cilinders and engine ceased). The rest of the ski is in mint condition, it's a beautiful machine, everything is there, the hull is perfect inside out and I got it almost for free (bought 2 skis with trailer for $500....the other one is a 96 760 Waiveraider with 91 hrs that had a stuck impeller, I replaced the impeller housing and the thing is already flying!!).

I really like the Sea-Doo, I know that the hull was basically the same for GTI and GTX during several years. I would like to get a bigger engine in there (787, 951 maybe?) for more power, I plan to use the ski to pull a tube/skier and some family fun, nothing hard core. Or, should I rebuild the 720 and try to get more power out of it by slightly modding it (boring out cilinders to max on rebuild, jetting carbs, flame arrestors, high performance propeller, etc)?

Last but not least, DO I NEED TO DO THIS? IS IT WORTH MY TIME AND MONEY? I do not know if I really need more power or if I will have enough for what I'm using the ski for with just the stock 720 rebuilt. I'm in NJ, so this will be seasonal use only.

Thank you so much in advance!
    Last edited by michepe69; 07-01-2009, 10:58 AM.

Re: 97 GTI Engine Swap

Rebuild or buy a rebuilt 720 and call it a day.. The mods to the 720 will gain you a little grunt, but that motor was never designed for towing.. Add mods to it and it's gonna grenade.

Swapping from a 720 to a 787, or higher is going to cost you more $$ and custom fab work then it would be just to find a ski with a 787 or 951 already in it.

If you really want more power, rebuild the GTI, sell it and buy a GTX
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
    X