Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeaDoo Clutch PTO

What does the Clutch PTO actually do?

I replaced the Driveshaft on my 1989 SP and greesed the shaft boot. I checked the PTO splines and they seemed fair. I took the seadoo out for a test drive and it would not go very fast but the engine was reving up to speed. It seemed like the shaft was spinning in the pto again but when I checked it it wasn't. The shaft was fine and the pto and shaft were not even warm from friction. After about 10 minutes it started working just fine. It worked all weekend. I probably drove it 20 hours total. When I took it out one week later it did the same thing but only acted normal for about 30 minutes before resuming the slow, overspeeding state. It would not speed up after an hour or so, so I put it away.
    I have a new PTO clutch. I have only heard of the splines wearing out on these and not the clutch itself.

My question is: Does the PTO clutch have moving parts inside that could malfunction? Does it work like a centrifugal clutch?

Re: SeaDoo Clutch PTO

There is no clutch... it's a 1:1 drive ratio.. All that PTO FLYWHEEL does is act as a mating point between the crank and driveshaft. It also acts as a counterbalance to the main flywheels rotating mass..

So, your issue has nothing to do with "slipping" the clutch, or probably anything to do with your PTO. You are most likely in need of a new carrier bearing, or your pump needs some love (wear ring / impeller)... etc.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
    X