'96 Seadoo GTX Rev. Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 Seadoo GTX Rev. Limit

I have a problem with my '96 GTX rev. limiting at 3000 to 3500 RPMs sometimes for no reason. It happens at startup and will not run at full speed until you stop and re-start. This is a random prolem because somtimes it runs like all get out, and somtimes you may have to stop and start 10 times. I replaced the MPEG and check all the wiring like Bryan told me, but the same problem. One in-sight to the problem, if you hit the throttle before it finish its shelf test (boot up) it will give you full rpm's and then go back down to 3000. My guess it has somthing to do with the program it loads from the EPROM. What part has the EPROM in it ? Please help before I pull both drain plugs and sink this thing. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

The EEPROM is part of the MPEM, which you say you switched.

I would suspect wither bad spark plug wire boots, or a bad overheat sensor?

Comment

This sounds very much like your rectifier could be going bad. Locate it in the grey box up front. It has 3 yellow wires and one red wire coming out of it. Remove the red wire and run the ski. Make sure you have a fresh battery because you won't be charging the battery with the rectifier unplugged. If the problem disappears replace the rectifier (~$40).

I doubt seriously that it's the MPEM, when they decide to "die" nothing works at all.

If that fails, consider cleaning/rebuilding the carbs. I chased a similar problem on my '96GTX. Rebuilt both carbs and no luck. It finally disappeared when I totally disassembled the carbs (again) and blew out all the passages with compressed air. Now it runs great.

Good luck!
      -Scope

Comment

Bryan,
        It is electronic, the ski runs fine (no missing) up to the point it rev. limits. What is standard on that ski for a: over tmp, low oil, does it rev limit? I have no lights on on the panel when it limits. I do not want to spend another $214.00 for a new MPEG. The carbs are fine. What about the rectifer, I always get low 12 volts when I crank this ski, but in all the reading on the forum, that is normal. Is there anything that could fry the MPEG to the point that it boot goofy sometimes?

Comment

I agree with Scope. Rectifier first, then if you have never cleaned those internal carb filters, do it. I doubt there is a 97 SD on the planet that doesn't need it if it hasn't been done.

The overheat and low oil sensors are not connected in any way to a rev problem. The overheat sensor only will cause the beeper to sound and has nothing to do with limiting engine speed. Same with the oil sensor, it will only ulliminate a red light.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

You ready for this one!!!!!!

The link rod that goes from one carb. to the other, has a bad threaded coupling. This coupling would hold sometime and pull both carbs, and sometimes not. One carb will give you about 3000 rpm in the water, 2 will run great. I replaced rod and it runs great. Looking at the old rod, looks like they had a bad day at the factory when they mad this one. Thanks for telling me to rebuild the carbs. :D

Comment

lol - can't say I've ever heard of that one before! [img]/graemlins/cwm27.gif[/img]

Comment

I have heard of it before. Very rarely though....

Lucky you !
                Bill O'Neal WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X