96 GSX idle issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 GSX idle issue

I'm having a small issue and was hoping for some input.

I've been riding my 96 GSX for the last couple weekends (ocean) and she's been running great and idling as per manual which is 3000 RPM out of the water and 1500 RPM in the water.

It feels like upon my last ride over the weekend my idle wants to go on vacation - here's what I mean.

Out of the water when I go to start it, she starts at around 1500 RPM and slowly works it's way up to 3000 RPM, takes about 10-15 seconds. Then she idles perfectly. The other day it'll hit 3000 RPM immediatley.

When I put her in the water it's takes quit a few starts and constantly working the throttle, starting at about 1000 RPM before she moves up to a solid 1500 RPM. The other day it'll hit 1500 RPM immediatley.

Today the ski shut off on me while letting it idle in the water, switched to reserve and took quite a few starts.

Yes I've changed out all my fuel lines, recently rebuilt the carb, new fuel filters which look spotless, all that good stuff.

On a side note, it's a 15GAL. fuel tank and I have about 1-2 inches of fuel from the bottom (guessing about 2 gals of fuel remaining), fuel selector at reserve.

Before having this issue I had plenty of gas (about 8-10GAL), you think it's just a simple case of not enough in the gas tank? Didn't have a chance to fill her up and check above symptoms today.

Thanks guys.

Re: 96 GSX idle issue

If it only happens when you have 1-2 gallons in the tank, then there's your solution..

Also, make sure your fuel bowl is clean.. The added couple inches of reserve fuel line, as well as a dirty bowl might be slightly overwhelming the pulse fuel pump
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

I did check the fuel bowl and it was spotless.

This is actually the first time I've ran my ski so low on fuel so hopefully it's just a low on fuel issue. I'll be riding it this weekend and will find out.

Like I said, the only change that occured was low fuel, so I'd imaging upon start up it would take a few extra seconds to catch the fuel which is located on the very bottom.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Comment

You might want to check the fuel pump screws for tightness and the line from the tank to the pump, sounds like an air issue. Like the other guy suggested, put some fuel in the tank, if that solves the problem you got it.
        If you want to go to the trouble to pull the pick up out of the tank you may find that it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the tank, one or two inches is not much fuel, I would when going in the BIG lake out there you fill er up,,,,good luck,,,tg :)
        Last edited by Tony G; 07-17-2009, 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
        X