2003 GTI LE Starter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 GTI LE Starter...

How difficult is it to pull the starter and am I going to have to pull the exhaust to get to it? When it's cold it starts just fine. After running for 10-15 minutes, the bendix isn't engaging the gear to the flywheel and I can hear the starter spinning freely. I know I have good voltage. Had three different batteries in it (two new) because I have another identical ski. I am making 14v at the terminals above idle. After it sits for 45 minutes or so, the starter engages and we start over.

Thanks!
    Russ

Re: 2003 GTI LE Starter...

It could be your bendix too...

Getting to the starter is a little bit of a pain.. Do you have the manual? You'll need it.

If it's the bendix that's shot, plan on pulling the motor to do it right.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

My suspicions are that is is possibly the bendix or corosion on the shaft. I had a boat starter that was doing the exact same thing once. I was able to clean it up/grease it and never had another issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a manual for these ski's. I do have manuals for an older XP that my father gave me. I don't recall how similar they are. I guess it's worth taking a look. I am going to go dig them out now. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Hold up.. I mis-informed you a little.. The 03 LE has the 717 motor, right? I was thinking 4 stroke on the newer LE's..

Starter is still a pain, but can be done with some extensions. The bendix on the 720's were built into the starter.. So no need to do anything but pull the starter.

All the 720's were the same (pretty much), and if you manual has a section on the 720 (717), or the 657 motors then the starter removal is identical for those.

If you don't have info on it, www.seadoomanuals.net has free manuals, but not 03. The 2001 GTi has the same motor as yours, so download the 01 manual.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Thanks Dan! You are correct. Mine are the 720 two strokes. I have been out this morning looking at it and it appears with a little contortion and the right extension/u-joints (maybe an inspection mirror) I can get to the starter. Doesn't look fun, but dooable. I am used to that though. I have a 300ZX TwinTurbo and doing anything in the engine compartment takes extensions and a contortionist.

Thank you very much for your help and the link to the manuals!!! I am on my way there now. :)

Comment

Well... kind of a mute point that the motor won't have to come out to do the starter. Looks like both of the motor mounts on the port side are wasted. Project for another day now but the motor is definately coming out. Oh well. I have to put a new steering cable in the other one too. Maybe next weekend.

Thank you again for you help,
            Russ

Comment

You can replace the motor mounts while the motor is still in the hull..
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
              X