96 xp 787 question on top end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 xp 787 question on top end

So my exhaust valve split where the stock grooves were in it and a piece locked up my motor. I was refered to a friend to a fella who use to work at a local dealership nearby to do the work. He opened it up and we found that the exhaust valve had a bad cast and sheared where one of the stock grooves are (reason they quit making like this i guess). I was able to find another exhaust vavle and he insisted that he would get me back out on the lake this weekend immediately for my g/f's birthday party. What a mistake to let things be rushed. I had an sbt motor in it and do have to say these things are bulletproof. NO damage to the cylinder at all. The piston did see a bit of scouring. We sanded down to make sure there would be no sharp edges to create hot spots. (his advice) He put this back togehter and everything else seemed fine. Great compression we are ready to go :) He prematexed all the gaskets though. Said they barely had any hours on them and that they would be fine. :( boy what a mistake. It ran fine when i paid him at his house but when i put it in the water it immediately started taking on water. I pulled the plugs out and they were soaked. Went thru the process of clearning cylinders of water and got it running ot dry things up. Now it sits. I suppose i'll put it apart and check for any leaks in the water jackets on cyclinder where exhaust valve came loose. Othe than that it sounds like i just need to pull it all back apart and do new gaskets. Any input? My main question now. Will the cylinder come off on this 787 while in the hull so i can replace base gasket as well..... (just in case) I don't believe it's leaking but i don't wanna take any chances. I really don't wanna have to take the motor out. And does the entire exhaust have to come out? The main connections right at the front left of the hull stinks to get back togehter. Thanks in advance.

Re: 96 xp 787 question on top end

You can do it in the ski, but it's not going to be fun!!

Before you tear it all apart, pull the head and head cover. Make sure all the orings are in place and good to go. It could be that simple.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

hmmm, the guy told me he worried about one gasket .. i think he said the head. It also started idling very high after i flushed it all out and got it started again. Is this maybe a sign of intake leak also? is there a spot that would cause both.. water leak and high idel from air leak?

Comment

also... have you known people the pull these apart and not order new gaskets? :( used the permatex copper stuff but like i said... obviously it didnt' work well... I think he used it where the cabs bolt up also... With the high idle like i mentioned before i'm thinking this was a problem here also ....

Comment

U just need to start unbolting stuff.. Copper gasket is only good on metal gaskets (which you have none).. It's not BAD for the gasket, but provides very little re-sealing ability on used paper gaskets..

Oh yhea.. The guy who did this for you??? Loose his #.
          Dan Solie -
          94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Lol Done... just curious. Will there be marks or water ways where the water entered? How the hell will i know where it came in. Or do I just break em all down and be done. ?>?

Comment

Do you have a shop manual??

www.seadoomanuals.net has them for FREE.. Download, read, learn, tech.. It will be your BFF before you know it.
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

I don't but could get one. Why you ask?

Comment

Because if you are going to start tearing int the motor, it would be wise to have instructions.
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

LoL pdf files online Was thinking about buying one of those or a cd... Is there a certain one you would recomend. There are a ton of em online available. Thanks

Comment

OEM manual...

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
                      http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/199...hop-manual.php
                      Dan Solie -
                      94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

OK, cut to the chase, I agree with Dan, pull it apart, no big deal to pull the head, pull the head and LOOK, the O Rings should be in their groves around the cylinders and NOT damaged, may have left them out ! LOOK !!get after it before it rusts and does more damage to the engine,,,:)

Comment

Working...
                        X