Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill, I have a 787 question.

Bill,
    I have a 1997 SPX with about 90 hours on it. Recently (the last few rides) I've noticed some dry soot all over the outside of the flywheel cover. The entire outside of the flywheel cover was covered with dry oil (kind of like smoke) so I could not see where it was coming from.

I cleaned it off and rode it the next weekend to see if I could determine where the oil was coming from and I think it is coming from the oil injection module.

My questions are:

1) Is this a normal place for the 787 to leak after 90 hours. (dry soot not wet)

2) To replace the gasket do I just remove the allen screws, clean and replace the gasket? Or is there a trick to removing and replacing the oil injector?

Thank you
    John Ciocca
    JC

Sounds like you have an exhaust leak, try inspecting all of the rubber hoses for damage,
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

I thought of an exhaust leak. I did inspect the exhaust coupler and it appeared fine. The reason I suspect the area where the injection module mates with the flywheel is after I wiped it off and rode it again, that was the area that started to develop the soot again. Right around where the module mates.

You are correct though, it does look like exhaust gas. It's weird that is why I am posting here to get some insight. Maybe I will wrap the exhaust coupler with a white rag and ride it and see if soot devlops on the rag. What do you think?
      JC

Comment

The joint of where the big clamp is on the pipe is leaking exhaust..
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
        X