98GSXl Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98GSXl Quits

My 98GSXl, 951 Grey motor, started acting up this weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me a clue where to start. Description of problem: sometimes it will hesistate and miss when you accelerate, sometimes it will accelerate all the way and then start missing, but it dies after a few minutes, sometimes seconds, and the lanyard had to taken off and put back on. Also, the maint. light comes on when restarting.
    Another thing is that when, it is out of the water it has been "running away", but in the water it stay at 1500 rpms.
    I have lost faith in my repair person. It has been rebuilt three times because the oil pump was bad and he said it was fine. (I didn't know how much oil it should be using until I got a second ski and had a comparison.)

You should be going through about 5 tanks of gas for every tank of oil.

What compression are you getting? What has been done so far?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The repair center I use told me to premix until the pump was replaced because the pump was working at low rpms. I asked about just blocking it off and was told there wasn't a block off for that motor. Other than changing the plugs, which were a little oily, and checking the fuel filter, nothing has been done. I will have to take it in to have the compression checked, but it reached 6750 rpms. The other times the engine went it never got above 3250.

Comment

First, either block off your pump and remove it (we have the kits for $15) or replace the pump - you aren't going to get ANYWHERE running 1/2 *** double oil.

If that doesn't clear it up, post back.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X