96 gtx runs poor at high rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 gtx runs poor at high rpm

seadoo idles great well maybe fast we took it to a shop the guy cleaned the carbs he said it revs fine on the trailer with a hose we put it in the water runs fine about quater throtle . but when you open it up it spits and sputters the tach will go up to 6000 then real fast back to 2000 need help is this somthing simple or major .

Re: 96 gtx runs poor at high rpm

Do you have an exhaust leak?? How do the plugs look?
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

i dont think i have an exhaust i just had the exhaust hose off the back side of the water box to see if it was colapsed it was fine. the plugs seem to be a little wet with gas thanks for your reply

Comment

How did it run before the carbs were cleaned by the shop.. Call the shop and ask what they set the pop-off to.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

it ran the same cleaning carbs didnt change anything . i took it to a different shop today they seem to think the carbs need rebuilt but he said it was just a guess they also wanted $ 400 to do the work and not sure that is the problem.we just bought the ski endof last year we knew it ran bad the gas that is in it some of it could be old think im going to drin the tank and start with all fresh gas . dont know!

Comment

fresh gas could make it run a lot better!
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

well changed the gas didnt help . if i buy carb kits from sbt is that a dificult job to rebuild them. and get them set proper . i dont realy think there set correct know the ski idles at 4500 rpm on the trailer .however the gas was bad put some in lawnmower now mower runs like crap thanks for any help on this issue

Comment

pretty easy to do the carbs. Get the kits and download the video on this site (under Tech).
                Dan Solie -
                94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

96 is the 787 which also had a problem with the starter and flywheel, i am working on one now sound like the same problem running great at 6500 then 1500 spits sputters boggs then goes again. i checked carbs, fuel line, rectifier, water box, and what i found was the starter and flywheel had ground so many shavings that it was shorting the pick up.
                  94 gtx, 96XP, 97XP,04 GTC SC,05 RXT & RXP

Comment

how did you fix the problem i did just put a new starter on it willing to try anything at this point

Comment

we took the flywheel cover off today it did have some shavings in it . but it also had water in there as well does anydody know if that will dry out and be ok or is it shot

Comment

how much water are we talking? You need to look at the stator on the front cover for signs of shorts or burned wires. If there are none, then clean everything up in there, replace the oring that mates the front cover and re-seal the area where the starter enters the housing.
                        Dan Solie -
                        94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

we checked everything put it back together it ran alot better but still has a miss or maybee loading up with fuel we took it out of the water put a hose on started it we couldnt get it to shut down it just kept reving up even with the kill switch pulled is that a carb issue pumping to much gas we did buy carb kits from sbt but havnt rebuilt them yet

Comment

No, that is called a run-away.. Caused by a severe lean condition... Something is wrong with your carb settings.
                            Dan Solie -
                            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

ok we took it to the shop with the sbt carb kits he rebuilt them we picked it up he said it ran great we put it in the water it wouldnt idle ran it about 1 half mile it did run good . then it died and would not start back had to tow it in . tookit back he seems to think it has a weak spark he says he just ordered a new coil for another seadoo just like it he put that coil on and said it had good spark with the new coil i ask him did it start with the new coil he said he didnt try . does this sound like a bull ##### story why would you put a test coil on and not start the motor . we did have spark when we took it out of the water it did look to be weak but the battery was weak from trying to start it on the river this is realy getting to be a costly pain any ideas

Comment

Working...
                              X