Won't run after refueling 97 GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't run after refueling 97 GTX

I fueled up my 97 GTX and 5 gal can at the same place. Ran on the lake for a couple of hours and went to top it off with the can. When I put it back in the water it wouldn't start, but did crank. Sounded like it wanted to catch, but wouldn't run. Changed plugs (old ones were not wet), and it started but ran bad. Placed in water & wouldn't start again. Initially didn't seem to have any spark on either cyl, but eventually it would spark. Found compression on rear cyl to be pretty good as I couldn't even hold a finger on the hole. Forward cyl did have some pressure, but you could easily hold a finger over the hole. Again, got it to run and idle with only the rear cyl firing. Tried to get into the water, but it absolutely won't start (but does have power to crank). I really don't think I have bad gas, but it just seems like this is when it all started. Gas was all bought at the same time. What is a common issue for sudden low compression... guess I'll start there.

Re: Won't run after refueling 97 GTX

compression test.... Let us know..
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

1 psi fwd cyl, aft cyl @ 150 psi. Removed forward jug, found top corner of piston broken off & both rings broke. Slight scoring of cyl wall, but can be honed a bit. Looking into options. Could just replace the one piston, but it's probably worthwhile to do both at this time. I see both cylinders share the base gasket. If I were to buy a top end kit from SBT, are new intake gaskets included as I had to get throttle bodies out of the way to access other bolts. Also, with 260 hrs on eng, I question what shape the rotary valve is in. Wonder what the root cause of the broken piston could be? Just simple fatigue?

Comment

At 260 hrs, that engine is probably just worn out. Depending on your money situation, your best bet is to probably just buy a rebuild.

Comment

Working...
        X