95 Sea Doo SP making clicking noise when trying to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Sea Doo SP making clicking noise when trying to start

I am having issues with a 95 SP that I just bought. I was able to get this to start before, now I am hearing noises from the front behind the plate there. I took the plate off and since I have a brand new starter, I know that is not the issue. I took the starter off and trying to rotate the motor (plugs are out) I get some real strange clicking from the front of the motor, and I can get it to rotate 360, but it gets real hard in spots, like a bearing is froze up. I am thinking that I might have a bearing that is froze up someplace, but not sure where this might be. I have been looking at the service manial and not sure where to start looking. I know the oil is good and plenty, but this machine has not run since 1997. The previous owner had an issue with it and never got it repaired. No, I did not pay alot ($300) for the ski and trailer with only 50 hours on it and this is my first attempt at a ski and not another boat, so I am not real knowledgeable yet, but sure am trying. Any help from this forum would be greatly appreciated!
    Mark

Re: 95 Sea Doo SP making clicking noise when trying to start

Forgive i copied and pasted my response from another thread, but after burning up my starter and buying a new one with a similar issue i found this:

Same scenario with my GSX when i got it, it had ingested some water and the previous owner thought it might be a good idea to stick a tube thr the carbs into the cylinder, then turn the engine over.........................Turned out he killed the rotary valve gear, with plugs out, it would turn over with em in it was vacuum/pressure locking itself on the cyl that was closed, pull the air cleaner/flame arrestor off, open the throttle to see down thru the carbs with a mirror if you need to and see if the rotary valve is turning. May not be it but sounds similar to my issue, stripped rotary shaft gear.

Comment

You got yourself a project!! I, personally would start taking the motor out and pulling the front housing, looking at the stator / flywheel area. Then start taking the motor apart if needed.

get a manual!!
      www.seadoomanuals.net has them for free!
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

I have a manual and have the motor our, but I was hoping to get a better direction here. Seems to get hung up when trying to rotate the motor from the flywheel nut. Seems to me that there is a bearing/bushing locked up. This is a 95 but has not been in the water since 1997. She told me that the neighbor boys threw kool-aid into the gas tank. Hmmm... anyone for a sugar high... good thing I am diabetic, huh? Gas Tank has been removed and washed out. primed with gas and removed again.. This machine has not run since 1997 (except in my driveway) and it seemed to be great.. went to lake and before launching her, started it up to check the cooling system. ran for about 10 minutes before she quit and now to where I am. The bearing might be a crank bearing, but I am thinking that it does turn over, it might not be the crank. is there a bushing or bearing behind the flywheel? I am looking through the service manual and I don't see anything there, but then it could be me..

Help me someone with more info, PLEASE !!!!!!

Comment

Yes, there is a bearing behind the flywheel, it's inside the cases and not serviceable without completely taking the motor apart. Any clicking from inside the cases is from wither the crankshaft or rotary shaft.
          Dan Solie -
          94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

It is the ROTAX motor if that helps. I figured it was a total rebuild when I bought the thing... I still think I am ahead!

Comment

They are all Rotax, even the rebuilds
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

sounds like a rod locked up, mine did the same deal as well after my ordeal, sounds like your gonna be pulling the engine out.

Comment

Working...
                X