96 SPX Bogging Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 SPX Bogging Down

Recently replace the carb linkage on the ski. Tried to set it the same length as the old one that broke. Since I did this, my engine boggs at low to mid level speeds but runs fine once it catches. Also hard to get it going on a cold start. If this is my problem, any suggestions as far as whether to draw in the linkage tighter, or expand it? Thanks for any suggestions!

You have to sync the carbs. Back the idle set screw out so it doesn't contact the stop. Set all the carbs so the butterflies close at the same time.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks A LOT for the tip, but please bear with a new guy. Haven't worked on a carb before. I know where the idle set screw is, but how should I go about setting the butterflies?

Comment

You just adjust the linkages till they are all closed at the same time...say the back one is closed and the front is slightly opened. Lengthen the linkage slightly till the front is also closed. Then readjust your throttle cable for proper slack, and reset your idle speed screw - 3000RPM out 1500 RPM in the water.

Comment

Right now, they're both slightly, slightly opened at the 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock position with less than a mm open on the high side. Should they both be set to be closed completely, ie. 9-3 o'clock? Again, thanks for your help!

Comment

Don't worry about the butterflies not being closed at the moment. Tech wanted you to turn out the idle screw so that the butterfly valves were closed. This will give you a better reference point to ensure that both butterflies open at the same time. Once you get this done, set the idle back to 1500/3000 rpm in and out of water respectively. The butterfly valves will open up as you idle it up in this step.

Comment

Dundeels - follow my instructions.

Comment

Working...
              X