96 XP 800 ... SBT motor failing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 XP 800 ... SBT motor failing?

In May 2008 we put a SBT Standard 787 Motor kit to replace a blown motor (old motor blew a bearing...). The motor went in, new fuel lines went in, carbs were rebuilt, etc. Every fuel, oil and cooling line was checked and hooked up properly. No lines have come lose, leaked, or clogged as far as I can tell. We did the proper breakin on the motor in 2008 when we put the motor in -- since then we've put maybe 15-20 more hours on the motor, thats it!

The last time we went out we ran the ski at 40-50mph for a little while, and eventually the motor just cut out (probably seized?). Turning the ski off for a few minutes let it start up again and ran fine... it died once or twice more before we figured out that if we idled it every 5-10 minutes for at least 15-30 seconds, it would run just fine. It was overheating. Let me be clear, we were not on a beach with alot of sand, there was no clogging of the intake ports for the cooling, and all indications were that the cooling system was acting as-expected. Oil was flowing just fine, and the plugs look great (not white at all, and not fouled... just perfect.)

I did a compression test today and the front cyl is @ 150, but the rear cyl is only @ 120. What happened?

I feel a bit screwed right now.. I didn't buy the premium engine with the extra warranty, but we've only put about 30 hours on the ski so far and we treat it extremely well. I've gone through the whole ski several times and there isnt anything jumping out at me that could cause this. I havn't yet taken the head off, but I'm wondering whether SBT will consider helping me out and partially covering the engine or not.. guess I'll call em tomorrow.

Re: 96 XP 800 ... SBT motor failing?

If the engine was not bored with enough clearance and the carbs are set up perfect it would have stuck a piston the 1st time you ran it wide open. You ran the engine for a season without any issues, I would check into a sticky needel and seat or old fuel from last season still in the tank. Keep in mind mixing old fuel with new fuel will not make the old fuel good again.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

There might have been 2-3 gallons from the old season in there, but we had long gone through that gas. We ran the ski all the way till we had to switch to its reserve 2-3 times before this happened. I'm wondering at this point whether we may be able to just rebuild the top end of the motor or whether we'll need to pull the motor out again.. :/

Will be calling SBT today to discuss...

Comment

Wouldn't a stuck-needle cause a lean-situation, which would be evident on the spark plugs?

Comment

It can be stuck open, or slightly leaking...
          Dan Solie -
          04 RXP (the "Instigator")
          94 xp (freestyle mods)
          95 xp (faster than the 94)
          JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Ugh. Talked to SBT today and on their advice, took apart my carbs. Sure enough, the rear carb's fuel filter was completely mucked up. At this point, we're hoping that by solving the problem (lack of fuel delivery at high speed), the motor may last through next week's lake trip. After that, looks like a top-end rebuild at bare minimum.

Comment

120 / 150 isn't that bad.. I have ran worse!! :).. It should last the weekend and the rest of the summer. Just take it a little easy.
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

For a bit of insurance, I bumped up the oil pump setting a bit... Should be good for a week or two of skiing.

Comment

Should be...

I am the same dsolie who commented on your thread on SD.net too..
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                  X