1996-97 Sea-doo XP 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996-97 Sea-doo XP 800

Trying to get a little info and build my knowldge base on this ski...I am considering getting one of these units and have heard a lot of good things about them....Just wondered what everyone else thought about them and what the pro's and cons of this machine was....I am also considering a 1997-99 yamaha 1200.

Re: 1996-97 Sea-doo XP 800

Well, the 96xp is WAY different to the 97xp.
    How do you ride? Are you a cruiser, that just likes to go sightseeing? Hardcore adrenaline junkie? Fresh or salt water? like to jump waves? Planning on taking a 2nd person or child on the ski with you?

there are a lot of factors that will gauge the pro / con based upon what you want to do with the ski.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Dan....looking for a one up machine....I currently have a 1991 sp and a 1994 waverunner III....I want "more power" The waverunner out runs my current "vintage" sp....The sp wake jumps a lot better...spins better...love how it comes up out of the hole after spinning....the waverunner rides out nice..."plows" the chop good....wish it could be trimmed out but no power trim on this one.....I do like the "reverse" I don't have that on my sp... I am looking for MORE top end speed...more hole shot...more jump...more spin...One up riding only on this one. Fresh water only...I won't call my self an adrenaline junkie....but from what I see I am one of the more aggresive riders on the lake...Ooh Rah! but yeah...I'm getting older...mid thirties and weigh in at two bucks....so I need all the launch I can get....I wouldn't say I am a "cruiser" by my standard...but I do like to run full throttle...but spend a lot of time behind hitting the big wakes. NOT SO MUCH a sightseer...With so many toys and projects...I just don't have a budget that will allow me to get a brand new machine and I am not sure I would like them anyway considering their bigger size.....and I like the two strokes anyway.....I am a machinist/engine builder/fabricator and like to build as much as I like to play........So what's the differences between the 96 and 97 xp's...I have leads and options on both of these machines as well as a 1998 Yamaha 1200 ?

Comment

I am partial to SD... I do like yamaha's, but for the "playful" factor, SD has it nailed!

The 96xp (X4 hull) is the second best hull ever made by SD. The best is the Parabolic... Lucky for you, the X4 is the 96, and the parabolic is the 97. The problem with the 97 is that's it's just too underpowered for the weight of the ski. That's why in 98, they put a 951 in it and never looked back.

I would suggest the 96.. Speed, holeshot, it's all there. It will be a rougher ride than the 97 or even the 1200, but the 96 is where it is at.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Dan...
          So is the 951 a better route to go than the 787? Should I be considering looking for a 1998 xp? I had it figured that the 787 was one of the best SD engines out there....is the 951 better and how does the 1998's with parabolic hull compare with the 1996xp...and how much MORE weight are we talking in a 1997 vs the 1996 with the different hulls....and another question...I am 6 foot and 200# The 1997 and I assume 1998's seem to have a higher seat height with the design change is this the case or is it all just appearance.

Comment

Skip,

The parabolic hull design added about 150lbs to the ski... They are two totally different machines. I am partial to the parabolic design, they carve so well and are still playful. The suspension / shock seat is quite nice too, and you do ride quite a bit higher off the water, takes some getting used to. the 97xp's have the same hull as the 98+xpl's... But with too small of a motor.

If you can afford a 951 ski, then do it! 6' & 200lbs is nothing to the 96 or the 98+XPL's. I have owned two 96's and many, many XPL's... I am 5'-11" and 235 and there has never been an issue an any of them.
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Dan...I'm doing a little more research....and have a few more questions....the 951 engines...is that the 951DI...and is this all all electronic engine...with all the sensors...tps, etc.. Is there more than one generation of 951? and what's the difference model year changes etc...Is this a two stroke engine...and does it use the rotary valve for oiling...I was looking at the sbt engine line..and the block appeared to differ from the other smaller units in regards to the obvious rotary timed system.

Comment

There are 2 951 variants. One is the carb'd version, the other is the DI. The 98-2002 were carb'd. DI's are going to be more expensive, and also don't like water (suck water, you can blow your motor). Carb'd motors are quite a bit more forgiving.

951's are NOT rotary valved motors, they are reed motors. Timing is variable based upon RPM and throttle position, not static timed like the rotary valve.
                Dan Solie -
                94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

So Dan...do you ride any yamaha's or are you strictly a SD man....I found a 1999 yamaha 1200X Limited on Ebay that is pretty close to me....you know anything about these

Comment

I ride them all...

I assume you are talking about the XLT? Decent ski's.. Pretty big. A couple of issues with those ski's.

1) the oil lines like to pop off the intake, causing the motor to blow... Invest in good clamps.
                    2) Power valves like to drop into the motor, causing motor to blow.. Invest in Wave Eater Clips that hold the PV's in place.

They are fun skis. The thing I DO LIKE about Yamaha's are the ability to mod them for very cheap. There are a lot of DIY mods you can do that will give you 3-5 MPH and only cost a few bucks (like $10-30).

The things I don't like about Yamaha's, especially that generation, is that it is a PITA to work on. Everything is covered by the pipe and the motor compartment is crammed. Removing the carbs, should be a simple task, will tempt you to pour gas on the ski and light a match. I also don't like the fact that the reverse gate is on the same side as the throttle.. Kind of a pain to work it while attempting to dock.

They are fairly reliable, and have a decent power to weight ratio. They are NOT playful and feel like whales compared to all of your existing skis. They do handle the chop quite well though.
                    Dan Solie -
                    94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Dan..thanks for the reply....That's what I wanted to know.....I do NOT need another whale....The thing I really like about the WR IIIGP I have is that it is easy to get at the engine/battery...etc....I like the reverse...Just want more power more power more power...and something a little nimbler....So do any of the SD's I was asking about have a reverse...Do ride plates and the ease of being able to replace them pose as big of an issue on ski's with power trim....Keep in mind I am just and old dog trying to learn a few new tricks and all my experince has been with older ....now.."vintage" machines..

Comment

If you want reverse on a SD, you need a 3-seater, or one of the newer 4-tecs. I personally don't use reverse (as often as I should). Why would you ever want to replace a ride plate?? As far as seadoo's go, there is no better than an OEM rideplate. SD really did a lot of good engineering into the setups.
                        Dan Solie -
                        94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

oh ok...so only the 3 passenger units have reverse....So how much difference is there between a two to a three passenger machine...say the 98xp limited to a 98gtx.....I guess then that the wr3gp I have is a 3up...but it's pretty short for a 3up. am I correct in assuming that the 3up machines are more stable...but less nimble...and less responsive due to added weight...but handle chop better...but aren't for wake/wave jumping?

Comment

So the 951 carb'd engines are reed valved and not rotary valved....do they use the say style of variable rate oil pumps.....or do you even recommend staying with the oil pumps or just blocking them off and premixing.....My Yammie has a fixed rate pump that obviously increases with engine rpm.

Comment

They are all variable... The oil pumps rarely fail... And I mean rarely.. I would stick with oil injection.
                              Dan Solie -
                              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                              X