Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with 2001 Seadoo GTX RFI Starting Problem

Hi Everyone,

I have an 01 GTX RFI and the steering broke a few weeks ago while in the water. Long story short I left it in the water and when I came back to fix it it was submerged in the lake. The electrical box was covered and the jet ski was sunk at an angle. I pulled it from the water and started drying everything out. I pulled the plugs and the head was full of water. I drained the water from it by using a small hose then I turned the engine over to pump the water out of the head, and boy did it shoot out of there. I have sprayed foging oil in the head and left it out in the sun to dry as much out as possible. Now when I go to start it with new plugs it will just turn over and will not hit. Could it be the ignition coils are bad now since they were under water for so long.

I have asked around and none of my friends have every had a submerged ski before so I am at a lose of what to check or do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Nick

Re: Need Help with 2001 Seadoo GTX RFI Starting Problem

whenever you submerge a ski, you don't stop working on it until it runs... Rust can take place overnight in the lower bearings....

Have you tried starting fluid?
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

I havent tried starting fluid b/c it is a fuel injected ski. When I turn it over with the plugs out it blows gas out the holes. I just dont think the coils are sparking the plugs. Is there a way I can test the coils to see if they are bad? I'm afraid to put a plug in the wire to see if it is sparking with the engine blowing gas out.

Thanks

Comment

hold the throttle WIDE open before you hit the start button and you will see the gas stops flowing. It's called oil mode in RFI's and DI's.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Hey thanks for the info. I did stop the gas flow but I still am not getting any spark from either coil. I have checked the connections in the rear electrical box and nothing looks corroded. Could water have entered the coils and destroyed both of them. The front of the ski was not under water so that electrical box should be fine. I am out of ideas besides purchasing new coils to see if that works.

Comment

you can put a multimeter on the trigger wire (white wire) of the coil to see if it's getting juice while cranking.
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

OK... I see the white wire on the coil but where do I put the other lead on the multimeter so when I crank it over I get a reading.

Thanks so much for your help
              Nick

Comment

Remove the white wire, and put the multi-meter inside the spade on the white wire.
                Dan Solie -
                94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Hey Dan,

I got that part but on a multimeter you have a red and black lead. I will put the red lead on the white wire from the coil but where do I put the black lead so when I turn the engine over I get a reading?

Thanks for your help
                  Nick

Comment

to the ground.. Either the negative on the battery, or the grounding post in the elec box... Also, a good ground is where you put the sparkplug cables when they are NOT on the plugs.
                    Dan Solie -
                    94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                    X