1998 GSX still runing wide open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 GSX still runing wide open

I made several post around the first of the summer, I never found any air leaks in the fuel system that I was told to look for. Finally gave up and took it to a ski shop, I am being told that my air leak maybe the rear main seal, is this possible? I have brought the ski home and starting back on it again and do not want to pull the motor if this is unlikely.1998gsx sliver engine. Any suggestions are reccomendations. Ski is in too good of shape to junk, however I am considering it.

Re: 1998 GSX still runing wide open

Could be a front seal, rear seal, rotary valve o-ring seal or a carb base gasket.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

already changed the carb gasket, I will try the rotary valve O-ring gasket before pulling motor. any pics on where and what to look for on the rotarty valve o-ring?

Comment

Can't miss it.. Pull the rotary valve cover.. Big oring, around the entire cover.
        Dan Solie -
        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
        94 xp (freestyle mods)
        95 xp (faster than the 94)
        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

I did see the big o ring , looks like a coiled spring type oring, I would bet that is a seadoo part only? correct?

also I continued to disassmeble and I found 2 smaller black orings . could they be a problem?

all orings appeared to be in fair shape

Comment

ok, I give up on the simple stuff,(Rotary valve orings did not help) I have now pulled my engine, I was going to take it to a local shop to have the main's replaced, however I am considering doing it myself.

Is there anything special I should be aware of. I am going to order seals, is there a gasket between the case?
            It appears that whoever rebuilt this motor used silicon.

where will I find torque specs?

Comment

search for a online shop manual, use three bond crank case sealant for the case halves.
              Last edited by Technical Support; 01-17-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vicpresnal View Post
                ok, I give up on the simple stuff,(Rotary valve orings did not help) I have now pulled my engine, I was going to take it to a local shop to have the main's replaced, however I am considering doing it myself.

Is there anything special I should be aware of. I am going to order seals, is there a gasket between the case?
                It appears that whoever rebuilt this motor used silicon.

where will I find torque specs?

http://seadoomanuals.net/
                Dan Solie -
                94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Not to be technical,but when I took the carbs., off of my 97 gsx,made some adjustments, failed to double-check the idle. After putting all back together,
                  started it, and full speed it went,scared the **** out of me .turn the ski off. readjusted the idle,all is well.Hope this helped,if not, hope you find the answer.

Comment

ok, I have now had new front and main seals replaced, and re sealed crankcase halfs. installed engine, now I am having trouble getting it to start. could I have put my magneto on incorrectly and screwed up my timing? if so I do I confirm and correct.

Comment

Did you re time the rotary valve correctly?

Comment

Have you checked compression? Is there fuel to the carbs? Do you have spark?

Yes, an improperly installed mag cup can cause issues. Confirm/correct is another beast. The shop manual shown above has detailed steps. Rotary valve as mentioned above is a likely suspect as well.
                        Dan Solie -
                        94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

ooch, not sure how to do this? I guess you are talking about the power valve on top on the engine, did not know they timed. I did replace o-rings on them earlier and it cranked upand ran, however this did not fix the problem of the engine running away.

Comment

compression 130 on both cylinders, spark on both cylinders, I am having trouble getting fuel pressure to carbs, however I poured fuel in both cylinders and still could not get engine to hit, leading me to believe I have timing issues, tried this several times. I am puzzled why fuel pressure is not builiding at carbs.

you are scaring me on getting this mag cup in proper position, I think there is 5 maybe 6 bolts on it, worse case moving it that many times till we get the engine to hit??

Comment

does sbt have online shop manuals.?

Comment

Working...
                              X