2002 Sea Doo XP 951 Oil Injection quit working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Sea Doo XP 951 Oil Injection quit working

I just bought this sea doo. The previous owner was riding it and the oil injection pump quit working and damaged one piston cylinder, piston, & rings. I'm guessing there is no compression in the cylinder. My question is when this happens what is the extent of the damage? Do you think I can just order a new cylinder exchange kit and change all that out and the engine will run fine or is there more I need to worry about or check?
    I did take the cylinder cover off and it looks like only one piston/cylinder is damaged.

Re: 2002 Sea Doo XP 951 Oil Injection quit working

9 times out of 10 the oil pumps dont fail, maybe the lines break but the pumps are very reliable. Make sure its not your carbs that caused the piston failure, you might want to open them up and inspect the internal filters and condition of the inside by the needle and seats, clean all jets and check the diaphrams. Depending on what the cylinder damage looks like you may need to split the crank case and clean the bottom of the case out, any crap from the top end failure will come back up from the case and destroy the new top end.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

How would I be able to tell if it was the oil injection pump or the carbs that inject the oil into the cylinder?
      Here are some pics. As you can see by the pics only one cylinder got damaged which could easily point to a carb. What would I be looking for that caused the damage so I know how to go about addressing the problem?
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it ran lean from lack of fuel. The head gasket looks like it started leaking too after it got hot. Did you open up the carbs and check them, also what color is your fuel line.

Comment

Really, so my assessment about the oil injection system was totally wrong?

From what you’re telling me, I should begin to look at the carbs as they could be the cause of what happened to this motor? Would rebuilding the carbs most likely fix the problem?
          I haven’t begun any work on this motor yet. I’m waiting until I have the money to get the top end rebuild kit from you guys. I will make sure I take a look at the fuel line….. what am I looking for to be wrong with the fuel line?
          My question if a motor runs lean on fuel doesn’t it just stop running? How does it cause damage?

Sorry I’m asking so many questions I’m new to working on watercraft, but I have worked on motors most of my life. I just couldn’t pass up a good deal on a nice Sea Doo.

Comment

Fuel also acts as a major part of keeping the cylinders cool. You can have tons of oil but lack of fuel will cause a lean condition and overheat the cylinder real fast. The Gray color fuel line that has been used in the past causes serious fuel delivery issues after time. The line deteriorates and cloggs up the internal carb fuel filters and the fuel on/off valves causing fuel delivery restrictions.

Comment

I'm getting ready to fix this Sea Doo what parts do you suggest I replace. I still need to find the fuel line to see what color it is, but I'm not taking anything more apart until I have everything to put it back together. I know I will need fuel line and fuel filters, but as far as the top end Do you think I should do a whole top end exchange with you guys or is there a cheap way to go about this repair? I am pretty good with tools as far as cars and motorcycles go, this the first time with a sea doo.
              So what would be the best way to go economically?

Comment

You should determine what the condition of the crank is before you go any further, if the crank has bad bearings then don’t put a new top end on it, replace the engine. Take the engine apart and evaluate what you are working with.

Comment

Any idea how to get the back bolt out? It is the bolt that holds the exhaust to the manifold on the motor. There is 3 allen head bolts in the front then on the back/bottom there is one, I think it is above the carbs.
                  Any idea would help.

Comment

There is a special tool.... Or, you can cut one of your open end wrenches and make a shorty.
                    Dan Solie -
                    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
                    94 xp (freestyle mods)
                    95 xp (faster than the 94)
                    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
                    X