Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 challenger 1800

I recently purchased a 98 challenger. It takes a long time
    To plane and when it does the rpm will suddenly drop and the left engine stalls
    It will restart and do it all over again. The right side doesn't push much if
    The left isn't running. I looked in the pump it looks good no nicks or dings on the impeller I tried to
    Turn both impellers and they wouldn't turn. Left engine I hard to start but. Compression is 141 and 145 so I think it's ok any ideas would be apprectiated

Re: 1998 challenger 1800

Sounds like a serious fuel delivery problem? It's taking a long time to plane because only one engine is working well enough to get the boat moving.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Thanks for the reply where do you think I should start

Comment

I tried with one engine and it will not plane at all it barely goes with either one engine.

Comment

Time to start looking at fuel systems
          Dan Solie -
          94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Just for giggles I checked the compression on all cylinders and they r around 60 psi obviously my gage is broke because both engines actually start.

After that I looked at the rave valves and became curious I had heard how easy they are to clean so I took them apart. The valves on the left motor ( the one running bad) someone had put a lb of silicone as gaskets blocking the ports. I also noticed the port on the cyl sleeve was close to the bottom and the port on the valve assembly had been installed at the top. I also noticed that one valve looks like it has been making contact with something (?piston?).
            I cleaned the valves and reinstalled them (no silicone gasket only) they appear after market with any on them. Does any use there own valves ???

The right side engine looks newer and the valves are org. I cleaned them but they need a rebuild funny though this is not the bad running engine. Does sbt mark there engines and is there a serial number stamped into the lower block on factory engines

Do you think this could solve my issue. I'm gonna try to put it in the water tommorrow

Comment

Keeping a rave from functioning WILL cause performance problems. SBT stamps the front of the motors, right at the head or cyl. Either a stamp, or a glued on plate.

Also, get a new gauge. A motor will start at 60psi, just won't run worth crap when under load (in the water).
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

I got new a new gauge guess
                What 30psi in pto cyl. The boat dealer Guntersville boat mart in alabama
                Sold me the boat on eBay and stated compressions in the 140 area on all cylinders
                also states left side may need pump rebuilt. No big $250 fix.
                Now needs engine so you know I'm in a great mood.
                Talked with eBay and paypal and my credit card company. I diversified payment sonhopefully UNHCR recourse. The c/c and paypal have withheld his
                Payment and all of a sudden they want to help go figure had to be an azz to get some attention. Hopefully they will be fair I'll keep yall up to date.
                If they will pay to replace the engine then I will need more
                Help. Thanks for your guidance.

Note :
                Don't buy shizt without compression testing.
                This note is a big duh don't trust salesmen

Comment

Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear the shop is willing to deal (even under pressure). remember, if you don't feel right about it, walk away.... Follow your gut!
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                  X