1996 GTX 12V Low Message on Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 GTX 12V Low Message on Dash

I have had my 96 Sea Doo GTX for about 5 years now, and it's always flashed 12V low on the display with the engine off but it always started and ran without any problems until late last year. Last year the battery started to run dead after I would let it sit in my garage for a week or two.

My battery seems to hold a good charge, it is only about a year old now. I tested the engine voltage with the engine running with the bike on the trailer connected to the hose, the voltage tester on the battery posts showed 13.4V at a mid-range RPM. The battery is charged to 12.5V with the engine off and installed in the hull. I have not been out yet this year, I'm wanting to get it ready to go out again without any issues. I have no aftermarket items on the bike, the bike is completely stock. I have inspected all the wiring and checked for any corrosion the connections, everything is clean.

My questions:
    1. What could cause the message "12V low" to flash on the display when I have good voltage at the battery?
    2. What could cause the battery to run down when in storage?

I have always been tempted to buy a new rectifier regulator to see if it would end the 12V low message issue, could a rectifier regulator be the cause of this message to show on my dash? Could a bad rectifer regulator cause my battery to run down?

Re: 1996 GTX 12V Low Message on Dash

If the skis computer sees voltage drop below a specific number while cranking then it may throw the low voltage message. All batterys will drain slowly if a ski is sitting in storage for a while. To prevent this you can disconnect the battery if the ski will be sitting awhile or install a battery tender to keep the battery fresh.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I was getting the 12 volt low on my 98 GTX RFI for the last 2 years. I was told by a seadoo expert that the rectifiers go out mainly because of the heat they produce. Of course other things could cause them to go bad. Anyway after about an hour of riding this spring with the 12 volt low flashing, I put the ski in nutral turned around on the seat popped the back part of the seat off and put my hand on the rectifier. It was cold so I knew it wasn't working. I replaced the rectifier and have not seen the 12 volt low since. I did the same thing with the new rectifier and when I put my hand on it, it was hot like it should be. Now I don't know if your rectifier is the cause of your problem but just wanted to give you my experiance. After running your ski for a bit, if your rectifier is cold it is probably time for a new one.

Comment

the best way of testing it is charge the battery run the ski and put a multi meter on the battery with the throttle half open the multi meter should be reading around 13/14 volts any more than 15 volts its over charging any less than 13 its not charging enough and the regulator isnt working

Comment

At times mine would charge, other times it would not. Then the rectifier went out altogether. It can be erratic before it goes out completely.

Comment

Working...
          X