GTX DI "jammed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX DI "jammed"

a customer brought in an '01 GTX DI that is "jammed". I can move the cranshaft back and forth ( cyliders are removed) and it gets hopelessly jammed. I can only guess that something is wrong in the meshing of the crankshaft to counterbalance gears????Does the rear pto come off "lefty - loosy"? It won't budge, not even with air gun.How do I check oil pump,with drill? I guess you can't block off and ignore as one line lubricates counterbalance shaft?

Re: GTX DI "jammed"

wow, sorry, I am too tired. I omitted a "k" in crankshaft and the "n" in cylinder!

Comment

I split the crankcase and the main center crankshaft gear and the counter balance shaft gear are shredded. They are so bad that the counter balance gear teeth are jammed into the channel. What would cause this? Should I rebuild or go short block? Can I block off the oil pump?

Comment

You can't block off the oil pump on a D.I, they cannot be pre-mixed. Not sure what caused it on your engine but it maybe cheaper to just do an engine swap.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Do you check oil pump operation with a drill attached to pump?

Comment

You can but will need an air drill or a drill that turns more than 1,000 rpm

Comment

I am rebuilding with a matched SBT crank and counterbalance. If I can't pre-mix, what are my break-in instructions????

Comment

Make sure the pump is working and dont run past 1/2 throttle for the 1st tank of fuel.

Comment

I thought that I would remember where everything goes when I was ready to re-install. I have done a LOT of 951's. But no DI's!!!Now I am really confused. Are there any hose routing diagrams available? I will make sure pump is working as soon as engine runs.

Comment

the little piston pump has an oil line going to it , and a fitting at the bottom. is this a return line to oil tank? also, at counterbalance shaft there is a fitting, does this tie in to exhaust valve lines? does the counterbalance shaft get lubricated at all? I can find no good illustrations. it reminds me of that car from Knight Rider, way too overcomplicated.

Comment

I did my best to hook up all of the hoses correctly. customer took out for a test ride. the SBT crank and counterbalance have the motor running top notch. customer complains of a hot water discharge and a blinking maintenance light. he has ridden it a little over an hour. what does the light indicate? is it possible that I have a hose hooked up wrong or is it possible it could be an obstruction or insufficient flow from impeller gap?

Comment

The maintenance could be for anything, hook it up to a scan tool and see what comes up then try to clear it.

Comment

Working...
                        X