Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tricks in reaching the sponson nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tricks in reaching the sponson nuts?

Got a 2005 GTI with a broken sponson, and I'm trying to imagine how the heck I'm going to reach the nuts from the inside of the hull? I figure an air ratchet will help with the long reach required. Will that be enough? Anybody been down this road before?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Any tricks in reaching the sponson nuts?

You may have to remove foam, if so use a hacksaw blade and cut it out. A small set of vise grips should work fine to hold the insert from turning.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It wasn't so bad after all. I removed the rear air-vent thing, and set the rear electrical box to the side, then I removed the muffler.

After that I could reach the nuts without to much effort.. It was all done by feel, and needed the 6" extension on the (non-air) ratchet, but I could reach them.

The good news is that there wasn't any damage to the glass.

This is the second time I've done repair to my Sea-Doos; the first was to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets after the exhaust manifold came loose (on both boats actually). The serial numbers are 11 apart, so it must have been a bad day at the engine factory!

The reason I bring that up is that once I start to remove things, the work that seems hard to do, becomes much easier.

Hope this helps somebody.

Comment

Glad to hear you got your sponson fixed. I have come to find out in three years I have owned a seadoo most of the work you do on them is by feel only. They are a royal pain to work on.

Comment

Working...
        X