Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 Seadoo GTI Crazy problems..Going batty..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Seadoo GTI Crazy problems..Going batty..

Ok, quick and short..

96 717cc engine Single Super BN stock carb that came with GTI, engine has been rebuilt, new sleeves, new pistons. I forgot to send the head and valve cover out with engine, so I installed this at my shop. Squish gap is a little large.. at 2.0mm. All new fuel lines. (just got a call wont run in on position now, only reserve??!!??) New rotary cover from SBT. orig N&S in carb but passed all test, looks good. push and pull.. carb has been rebuilt with kit I got from local parts place.

history of motor... was on an SBT rebuild for 6 years (great rebuild guys) and she went last year. Was going to just do an upper end rebuild, but bore had to be opened up to 83.5mm, So New sleeves were installed with this current rebuild.

Got back the engine back, installed, fired right up.. no hesitation on land with starting.. set pop off to 36, and low speed at 1.25 and high at 0. Brought to water, started.. but would not move, fell on face. You would have to pull the choke to get her to move. Mind you air box and seat are off to tune. went back to shop, notice the clear film on pump side had kink. replaced with good one from original carb set to get by. set pop off back to 36.. still ran like poo. Went back to shop. Set pop off to 30, ran a bit better. had a low end stumble, but it was a small GeeeeeRRRR and go. I did set the arm to valve body hight. so I went back to shop, set pop off to 29, then 28, then 27, ran about the same through out. decided to put seat and air box on to let my buddy run the boat with the rest of the pre-mix, and then tune... stumble got worse. Again, This was also with pre-mix for brake in. I thought it may effect the bottom end a bit..

Break in is over... going to get her back to tune it, and fix it. i guess she falls flat on her face till she gets going.. but half throttle is full throttle.. no change between half throttle to full.. But, when she gets to full, she goes like a bat out of hell.. just a wicked bottom end stumble.

I'm really getting confused. The rebuild kit i got may have sucked.. So at this point, with the engine the way it is, what would you do? Does squish effect the low end like this? or running like this? could this be a bad N&S combo? I was going to buy another full rebuild kit, and N&S combo that SBT would suggest to get this done and over with.

I'm trying to help a friend, and this boat has gotten the best of me. I've set my rotary valve as accurate as I could.. compression i think was 135-140 on both. My spark plugs were a cardboard brown on the electrode.. and little black on outer ring... also little white from water that got sucked in i think. ( do have photos) Buddy took to water to put around and work pre-mix through.. and the exhaust boot between the cone shaped pipe, and the bottom of the exhaust down pipe if you will.. (its 8 or nice inches wide, and 4-5 inches wide..supposed to keep both pipes close, yeah that one..i guess the clamp let go, so I replaced, been fine)

This boat has fried me. and i'm getting to the point that I am going to be done with Sea-doo.. I don't want this to happen. This boat has gotten the best of me.. Also me installing the head, and valve cover for this rebuild may have effected things? if squish gap is that important to bottom end (i thought just starting)

Again, tips, suggestions, little love for a Sea-Doo? I've followed some tips from SBT, and other places.. and I am at this point. I'd be happy to take some help on this project if your in the western Mass area.. Again... I've played with many models, and this one boat has just really tossed me.. all that can go wrong, went.. The person I used to rebuild my motor, not SBT ( my Stupid *** mistake) has horrid communication issues, and has been a HUGE burdon. lost my motor, delayed me, forgot to do a check in of parts (head confusion) said it was done an built but waiting on gaskets, then called three days later saying it needed sleeves..(yeah, it was done, but waiting on gaskets, yet three days later it had to be sleeved? really?) Please..take my advise, only use SBT for your rebuilds. It is the other well known company for PWC engines. Ah Ha... get it.. All I can say, USE SBT, NOT PWC.. If you been around the block, you know what i'm trying to say.

I do want to extend a HUGE thanks to SBT for a ton of great parts, and many questions answered. I've used a bad company in the past... It's been a breath of fresh air with SBT, and i'm glad I found you guys... Now... Could you help me get this thing running.. and lets show up the other crap company. Ha ha ha.. It seems like every day I place another order for parts, parts at a great price, and in stock at SBT... funny, As I check my messages, I see I have another customer who needs some 717 parts for his Jet boat... SBT, Hear I come!

Again, sorry for the rant... this is a vent/ cry for help.

Re: 1996 Seadoo GTI Crazy problems..Going batty..

Rotary valve maybe to far retarded, advance it see how it runs
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

When I got the motor back, it had a line on it for the rotary valve.. I installed it per the line. I also pulled out my wheel, and checked the marks.

Does squish effect low end? I understand how they explained it in the book. That gap is to in a nut shell, super charge the gasses, for better turbulence.
      Being off one tooth, would the boat act like a stumble low down, and at half throttle its max.. In other words.. Once your at half, you can pull the throttle to the bars, and it goes no faster.

Sorry for all the questions.. I REALLY appreciate the help and answers from everyone! I think I'm going to pull the boat back and pull the upper end off to check piston wash, and the seals. (was suggested to do as well) I was also told the carb could have some issues.. But going through it ten times, no lie, ten times in one day, and back and fourth to water 12 times..

Comment

It might be time to have another set of eyes look at the ski, the squish should be ok.

Comment

Ok, so i'm getting the seadoo back this week. Customer is very understanding.. Just spoke with him again. My first time i took it out, i pulled the choke a bit, and she started to run a bit better. I spoke with him today, and he tried the choke him self. With out it, it is running like poo... Getting worse. with it, he said it runs good. When this happened the first time, i dropped the Pop-off.. ran a lot better.. was at 36, dropped to 30. I'm going to pull the carb apart again.. rebuild it with an SBT kit, new needle and seat. Pull upper end to check gaskets, rotary valve. But I would not think the Rotary valve would effect the ski like this... meaning the choke on.. run better. I feel it has to do with fuel.. i'm just at a lose at what. I know what you mean, another set... Finding that set around here.. thats a hard thing to do.

I did not think it was squish. The the fuel pump gets its presure from the pulse line.. the pulse line gets it's pressure from the case. Would a leak in the head cause a low pressure issue? like if a ring around the top of the piston (sealing ring, not piston) be leaky.. wait. then you would have water in the piston.. causing a hydro lock.. even more so hard start. i'm just spit balling.

i'm going to add up more information on needle and seat wen i pull it. Again, I thank you for all your help.

just did an upper end on a jet boat 1800, twin 717.. went flawless... just re did a SPX, have another GTI that was a simple tune.

Ok... another thought... could a bad rebuild kit cause this?

Comment

It sounds fuel related also by-pass the on/off fuel switch and water sep. go directly from the tank to the carb with 1 piece of fuel line see if things change but do rebuild the carb.

Comment

Ive rebuilt the carb a few times.. over and over. Though, the quality of the winderosa kits BLOWS!! keep that in mind everyone.. at least for the SB-38's... I hate them. I will be getting a OEM kit from SBT next week.. after I test her one last time.

**Updates** Got her back... Took her apart and really looked at everything. Things I noticed.. My compression test on a new motor wqs 135...not what it should be. So I examened the head.. I notice the head had a date stamp of 95...the engine i am rebuilding is a 96.. So i tore open my boxof parts, and found a better head.. one stamped 96, and i also noticed the dome shape was a little different, and the ledge around the dome was a TON shorter! So.. I said to my self.. this is looking better already.

I then looked back through my photos, and notes on each time i tinkered with it. I also noticed that the PTO side piston had black oil spots all over the head cover.. I though it was due to the fact i use my thumb on the sparkplug hole, when i remove it and crank it over (cheat way to feel compression) I thought it was from the fuel and oil spitting out when i put my thumbover.. NOT THE CASE! when I looked over the covers, i noticed that it was SOOOOO pitted, that it was not making a good seal.

So then when i took off the head from the jugs, i also noticed that the piton o ring was still seated, but all the gasket material (51813 permitex) was gone. bad batch maybe? I dont know but I bought another tube.. no playing games. I could tell water intrusion was going on.. i'm BEYOND lucky i'm smart enough to see, catch, and take care of.. i cleaned the bores up to be sure.. fogged oil everything.. but it was just getting in to rear piston.. enough to make a horrid running condition.

So.. Combine the fact the new head was a smaller ledge on the dome, with the correct date stamp, an no pitting or marks, plus new
              518,... i started here.. put the engine back together and waited two hours before a compression test..added a bit of oil to chamber to help things move.. Guess what.. compression was back up to over 150.. yeah... i'm heading down the right road.

so last year i did a full fuel hose swap.. cleaned the fuel tank, and oil tanks. After getting the engine back to normal, and at least all in spec.. I shot over to the carb.. took it all back apart, checked all the settings, and cleaned the filter. Which for some reason had furry **** in it.. what ever.. I cleaned that out, set the pop off back up to 36.. as close to 36 as i could.. put that back together.. replaced the valve with another one i had for spare.. (noticed when i took this one apart, the inside was damaged.) cleaned water sep out, and then sat and looked at my glory. I knew.. just knew she was gonna run better..

i made my self wait about 24 hours for the gasket matrial to set.. went in yesterday AM. Attached my water hose.. made sure fuel was on.. tank about full.. I knew she ran in reserve last time... so start here.. Got her fired up... man.. she was purring.. not vibrating as bad.. sounded smooth... I almost cryed.. this thing has kept me up for some nights...wondering.

NOW.. all fuel lines are good.. clean.. replaced. vents checked.. I kept it running, and switched the valve over to ON position.. and the engine starting acting a bit strange after about a moinute. the RPM would rasie, and lower.. just started acting goofy... back to reserve and NO ISSUES. So, before I pull anything off her, she is going to the water on reserve.

seeing after the fuel valve, reserve and on share all the same circuit.. before that you got two lines going right to fuel pick up tube, and the fuel pick up tube. I cleaned last year, even replaced the float to get the fuel guage working again. I think it might be something pluged up in the pick up tube... but... as she is running very well...well much much better, i'm going to lake test it first...then tinker with the fuel tube. any suggestions on that?

I feel like a million dollars.. this is the firat 717 to give me as many issues.. go figure...this weekend its raining!!

OH my squish gap....1.7 yeah baby.. much better then over 2.0 the new head made a world of difference. along with getting the water intrusion out.. i'm a lucky man..

I just wanted to add this up for others... yeah.. I had a few things working on me in a bad way... but with a little time.. and learning.. i found all the little issues. NOW i'm back to where i should be getting a fully built motor..

Dont use PWC engines! they are horrid with communication! not helpful, just a poor company to deal with. They also rebuilt my motor with out the head and cover.. I expressed to them that i would be more then happy to ship it to them, but they said no.. it will be fine. BULL CRAP.. how can you tell squish with out it.. Seadoo makes 5 different base gaskets for this reason.

SBT has stuck with me, and provided so many parts.. and fast! prices can not be beat.. qualtiy is second to none! I've been playing with Seadoo for a while, but this one got the best of me. Again...thanks for all your help

Comment

Ok, so after all of this... I still have a stumble problem.. but I think I am getting closer. So I pulled apart the carb, yet again, and i made out that it has a 1.5 needle and seat.. where OEM calls for a 1.2...

Now, from what I know, you can lower the pop-off to about 30, to compensate for the 1.5 needle. Which as far as I knew, the 1.5 can flow as much gas as a 717 can handle.

Now I also know that a STD piston was used. my squish is at spec, i lowered the pop off to 30, and I still get a stumble. if you play with the throttle, i can get her to open up, and run like hell.. but when she goes back down to sitting.. she stumbles. I mean.. as long as I dont sit still, she will run great. I thought I would have to lean it out, but in fact it acted like I had to richen it to make it run a bit better. an adjusting the idle.

Should the pop off be a bit lower then 30 for the 1.5?

Next question, should I say F-it and get a 1.2 seeing its at STD piston, factory airbox, blah blah, and new motor...well rebuilt. And get a Mikuni kit form SBT and throw out the Winderosa? (which I did not think that kit would make that big of a difference, but I hear many having issues with the rosa kit.) buy all new jets.. if so, what would you recommend. the Seadoo book contradicts it's self a bit, and fails to list much info on a single carb 96 GTI. where 97 and 96 are way different, so i have not gone by that.

What would you do? I went all back through the fuel lines, put new clamps on them, made sure the fuel pick up tube is clear, new head, valve cover, rotary valve cover, rebuilt engine, new fuel lines (not cheep ****), Fuel selector valve, plugs, new permitex 51813 gasket maker, 150 PSI compression, squish is at 1.6 1.7...This one has really got me. after running for a bit, the plugs are brownish.. around the metal, and the electrode.

The good, this is my best customer.. as I have said before.. he is very understanding.. he is a plumber, and knows how their is one job that will get away form you. I really take care of him for everything...and i'm really really bummed about this one all together. really bummed out. Ive also spent my money, and not his.. And not charged him a dime.. So.. i would love to at least break even..some how. ha ha ha.

again, I thank you so much. If you want to see a photo, let me know, or any other info.. please let me know. again i'm so baffled i don't know what to say.

Comment

At this point try the 1.2 needle and seat. 96 shows 2 carbs and 97 shows 1 carb for a GTI. The single carb 97 should have pop-off at 23-43 with a main jet of 175 and pilot jet of 67.5 low setting at 1-1/4 and high at 1-1/2

Comment

I swear its a 96... i also have a customer with a 97. lol Its strange.. I find some info, then some not.. So, if i follow the 97 route? I should be good correct.. everything else 717 is the same as far as I can see.. Its just difference in carbs. correct.. So If i buy all the parts above, I should be in the right ball park. Correct. and again.... THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH! My brain has shut the heck down on this one..

Comment

And If i go with a 36 popoff that would be good correct.. more or less middle of tunable circuit.. thanks

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Update..
                          Who else has had a 1996 Seadoo GTI... That is not a 96... BUT A 97!!
                          YES, that is right. The hull is a 96.. but engine is a 97, with a 97 carb. I did check the air jets.. same as 97. So I rebuilt the carb again, this time I got a Mikuni kit (these only have two springs.. one way high.. one around 23-25)
                          I used the lower of the two.. looking at the chart, popoff started at 23 for the 97. So knowing she ran like crap down low with everything around 27/28 and up to 36.. I just started at the other end this time. I set my low to 1.25 and 1.5 high at 1.5.. (also knowing that rather have high at 1.5.. rather then zero an being to lean)

So we opted to take her out yesterday. I was supposed to be there when she launches.. but I was 15 minutes late.. enough time for my buddy to take her out.. go for a ride.. and come back wind blown.. an a huge smile.

Very very happy, I am.. lol. All people who read this... Stay away from winderosa carb kits.. just spend the extra on the good stuff.. OEM mikiuni.. and make sure you check your jets inside of carb, and compare if you are having the same issues I am. I was now told this was a pre-edition boat.. at any rate.. its running GREAT.

THANKS SBT AND TECHNICAL STAFF.. THANKS TECH SUPPORT ADMIN.
                          Now.. to make another thread about sinking a different GTI.. lol and a 4tech motor.swap.. its Monday morning... They line up.. and tell me their stories.. some are to funny.. some.. just a bit insane..
                          I'm glad this one is to bed. Although my customers friend, who blew up his 05 GTX LTD insists that she needs to be tuned.. it slows down with a full tank and two people over 200lbs. He said.. I said.. well duh.. she's not super charged. Two way different boats..

Also.. one for ya.. way off topic. Friend bought a 2012.. 260. Seadoo. He almost towed it in. I had to go find him. Ski would not take off.. just had its 10hr.. and all checked out.. but he could only do 4 mph on water. I told him to remove his key.. and blow out the water.. he did.. and she took off like a rocket after.. they love me.being out on the water with them.. anything that brakes.. I'm dragged to.. lol. Sort of crazy though with the key.. thought I would share.

Comment

Good to hear everthing has worked out.

Comment

Working...
                            X