Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small amount of water in the hull-Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small amount of water in the hull-Is this normal?

I've got an older seadoo sp, just wondering if it's normal to have a small amount of water in the hull when i'm out riding it....if so, does it come from the siphon lines if the thru hull seal is sealing and working properly. I'm getting about an inch or so in the bottom of the hull, but it never amounts to more than that.

Re: Small amount of water in the hull-Is this normal?

If you are an aggressive rider and you do spins and things like that, then yes, it is normal to have a small amount of water in the bottom of your hull after riding. I always have a little water in mine after riding. I get it out with a shop vac when I get home. The siphon lines will never get 100% of the water out of the hull. If you really want to check for a leak somewhere, leave your ski on your trailer and back it into the water far enough to cover your intake. With your seat off or hood open or both, start your ski and check for leaks while it is running.
    Last edited by btodd29; 08-04-2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

i wouldnt say i am aggressively riding it, i don't sub it or do hole shots or anything like that...just normal riding sometimes wide open, sometimes, not. It seems to be a constant inch or less just in the channels in the bottom of the hull. I checked all the hoses, and the thru hull seal, all are ok, however, if it's coming in thru the baliers/siphon hoses on the bottom of the hull, would it be possible that it's like a backwash coming from somewhere? (I'm not too worried if the water coming in stays at an inch or less as long as the siphons are working to move the water inside the hull out while the ski is moving.)

Comment

It is possible you have a small leak somewhere on your motor or a loose cooling line. Not sure if it is possible for the water back flowing through the baliers. Not familiar with your cooling set up. If you have a water regulator on your water box check that to be sure its not leaking. If it has been on there awhile it very well could be. Still the best way to find a water leak is to back it in the water on the trailer, start it and look. If you don't find a leak anywhere and you are just having that small amount of water in the hull, at this time, I would not worry to much about it. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse. Another way to find a leak in your hull is to fill the bottom of your hull with a couple inches of water, enough to cover the thru hull seal, with the ski on the trailer out of the water, let it sit for a bit and see if any water leaks out from anywhere. What are the condition of your drain plugs? Do they have a good o-ring for a good seal?

Comment

Yes, the o-rings are good on the drain plug, I think I found the culprit...of the 2 cooling lines that run from the engine to the back of the ski- and then outside, one of them has a small leak where the hose fits into the outside nozzle assembly .. a steady drip..enough to pool up water in the bottom of the ski, but not too much water to where the siphons can't move it out quick enough. I'm going to replace both hoses and I think that should fix it.

Comment

Glad you found it. Now with that figured out you can ride without that worry on your mind.

Comment

Working...
            X