fuel sending unit repair ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel sending unit repair ???

Dug up this old thread in the tech articles section: http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/t7185/
    I'm dealing with a 98GTX ltd. Just bought it but and the guage is all over the place while riding. Pulled the sender and someone has already done the fuse jumper trick. Looks like crap but I get continunity across it. I have checked my float and both magnets are in place and it still floats. With a meter connected to the plug I get 88.6 ohms with the float at the lowest point. As I move the float up in the sender the ohms go down but not smoothly and consistantly. With the float at the top I have 0 ohms. Sounds like its working fine, right? Wrong! The issue is no matter where the float is once you stop moving it the meter quickly goes back to 88.6 ohms. I know its in the sender because I jumped the wires in the harness the first time I messed with it and the guage reads full. Any suggestions???

Re: fuel sending unit repair ???

The float still maybe the problem.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I was wondering if maybe the magnets were weak. Is that possible?

Comment

yep, they get fuel logged
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

New float with shiney new magnets and works like a charm. At least according to the ohm test. Thanks for the advise.

Comment

Working...
          X