Doug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug

I Just finished putting in a rebuilt sbt 587 in my 1993 gtx. Rebuilt both carbs, pump. It will not start. Back fires but wont run. getting fuel, and spark. set timing as per sbt instructions. where do I go from here? If I set timimg at 130% as stated in instructions. Do I change this to Plus 130 or minus 130 and how much? If this is the problem !

Re: Doug

Are you sure the rotary timing is set correctly? Do you have the correct flywheel on the engine?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I replaced the flywheel that was on my engine. I ordered from you a 587 1993gtx engine which is the flywheel that came from my engine (same Model). The engine I replaced was running when I took it out (Had bad compression But running). Using the degree wheel I set the rotery timing (as per your installation directions.) at
      130 %. I had to turn the r/v over to hit 130 exact on this new engine. On my old engine it was set at 130 also. ( I marked the side from my old engine prior to removing for referance) All I get is pop-pop backfires out of exhaust and back through carb, but won't run. Should I go - or + if i reset the rot/valve? Also stator was aligned to your instructions. I have rechecked all ??

Comment

It almost sounds like the flywheel key might have broken and the timing is out.

Comment

I give it a try Looked good before I put it back in the ski..

Comment

OMG !!! You were right on!!! Took the engin,pump,ect out and started checking everything out.You were right on. The key way (woodruf key) must have sliped out when I torqued the fly wheel. Re installed a new woodruff key, put it all back togather--- Fired right up!!! Thank You !!!

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
              X