1997 717 HX Crankcase fills with oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 717 HX Crankcase fills with oil?

I have 1997 717 Rotax HX motor in a 1997 GTS Ski. The Motor was blown when I got it, so I rebuilt it and took off the Oil Injection after reading many reccomendations for this on posts on this site. I left the oil tank in the ski and hooked up the lines as I read this was needed to keep the rotary valve lubricated. After the ski sits for several weeks, the tank drains and fills the crankcase with oil. Do I have a seal issue, or do I need to add a shut-off valve for use during stoarge?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: 1997 717 HX Crankcase fills with oil?

Sounds like the inner crank seals are shot, the only way to fix this is to replace the crank.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Crank was rebuilt with new seals. Probably less than 10 hours on them.

I did not use any sealers around the seal ODs. Could this be the problem?

Comment

No shouldn't be, did you put new seals on the rotary shaft and is the c-clip installed on the spline end of the shaft?

Comment

I think I used new seals but not 100% sure. Motor is sitting on work bench. I'll pull the intake manifold off and have a look. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a few days for work so won't get back to it until Wednesday. I'll let you know what I find then.

Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

Before I pull the intake apart, I may try to presurize the Oil System and see if I can find where the leak is. I can use my cranckcase pressure tester for this as pressure is low. Maybe I will be able to tell if it is around the crank seals or the rotary shaft seals. Has anyone tried this?

Comment

I did the leak test last night and it worked like a champ. Unfortunately, you were right the first time. The leak is in the crank seal on #2. Pulling the crank out now to see what went wrong.

Thanks

Comment

Dave the best part is you know what the problem is now so that's good news, the bad news is you have to pull it apart.

Comment

Engine is disassembled. All looks brand new inside. I had lightly surfaced the case halves during the rebuild and the surfaces look great. What I didn't see was any sealer on the crank case halves. I applied a small amount of silicone sealer to the case around the cam shaft and tightened the bolts. The oil compartment held 7 psi indefinitely... What is the right sealer for the case halves?

Comment

Use 3 bond crank case sealant 1211

Comment

All back together and engine is back in the ski. Thanks for the help!

The last time we ran the ski, the fuel/water separator bowl was loose and sucking air. When tightened, it would strip and fall loose again. I rapped some Teflon tape around it and it got by for a while. It is loose again now. I do have an in-line fuel filter just short of the carbs. Do you have to have the separator as well? SBT doesn't list a replacement that I can find.

Comment

You can eliminate the stock separator just use a good 2 stroke fuel filter in the fuel in line.

Comment

Working...
                        X