'96 gtx pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 gtx pump

I pulled the pump to inspect. Everything looked really good. The question i had is, should the driveshaft be secure in the impeller or should it be able so slide out of the pump very easy? When I put things back together I had a lot of play in the driveshaft as far as being able to move the driveshaft back and forth. (front to back) Also looked like water would be able to enter the hull in between the rubber boot around the driveshaft and the Spacer thing (the piece that butts up to the boot), I do have the clip on the driveshaft. Did i do something wrong?
    '95 HX<br />'97 XP

Did you put the two rubber spacers back on each end of the driveshaft?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yea...there's a good 1/8" of clearance all around the shaft and the "spacer thing". (ring carbone)
      It seals on the front flat surface against the metal flange on the shaft.
      I never thought it would seal out water either, but it does! ....as long as there are no grooves or gouges in either surface.
      Check both ends for those rubber pads, and grease it up good at the splines.

Comment

TS, yea both rubber boots are on there, maybe im just thinking its not right. just doesn't seem that there is enough pressure on the rubber boot in the back. Any other ideas, or do i have to see if its right the hard way?

Thanks for replies
        jon
        '95 HX<br />'97 XP

Comment

The spacers, not boots. There are little rubber spacers that go IN the spline holes on either end.

Comment

A carbon seal type driveshaft seal will never "look" like it will seal water, but it will.
            Bill O'Neal WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Finally got a chance to take a closer look. The rubber spacer on the end of the driveshaft (pto side) was not there. Is this a cheap and easy fix?
              Thanks for all the help. as always
              jon
              '95 HX<br />'97 XP

Comment

Yup, just buy a spacer or two from your dealer, pull the pump and shaft back and pop it in.

[ September 09, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]

Comment

Working...
                X