Oil on Sparkplugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil on Sparkplugs

Hello, I have a 1996 Sea-Doo XP. After I adjusted my carbs to factory specs using your guide (no mods, 0 turns hi speed, 1-1/4 turns low speed) I noticed a ring of unburnt oil on the crown (the metal part of the threads that surround the porcelin, if my terminology is wrong)and the slight smell of fuel. When I ran the ski at one turn out there was almost no color on the plugs and 1-1/2 turns seemed too rich, so I went with the factory specs. It seems my ski fouls plugs pretty quickly as I have replaced them 3 times and the last the PTO flywheel plug was almost black and wet, but I couldn't smell fuel. I am a little nervous about running the ski with this adjustment and the oil on the plugs. Any advice? I would greatly appreciate it.

Make sure your oil pump cable is still attached, and adjusted correctly - if it came loose or is not attached, it defaults to WOT and will be too oil rich on the low-end, giving the symtoms you described.

Comment

How do I know if the cable needs to be adjusted, the Clymers manual seems to be vague about it. Thanks.

Comment

There are two markings - one on the pump body, the other on the cam. With the throttle cable at idle with no slack, adjust the oil cable so the lines meet.

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn - SBT Webmaster ]

Comment

Working...
        X