Tuning questions for '96 GSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning questions for '96 GSX

I just bought a 96 GSX that has a new motor that is barely broken in. I have very little information as to what was actually done but it had a few aftermarket parts put on it when the motor was put in. I put it in the water for the first time on Friday. It ran ok most of the time but did not have the power it should. Once in a while it would bog out really bad and hardly run. If I held it at about 3000 RPMs for a minute it would come alive again. When i took it home I pulled the plugs and they were fouled pretty bad so I put new ones in. I took it back out Saturday and it ran much better. No bogging and had more power. I took it out again today and clocked it with my GPS and it only went 43 MPH.
    Here is a list of aftermarket parts put on:

Factory pipe
    Solas impeller
    R&D Flame Arrester
    I see notes of (2) .080 jets
    Micro Touch rev limiter (for 1997)

This ski seems to have a good motor but seems to be tuned off a little. I am getting about 6700 RPMs but only about 43 MPH.
    What should the top RPMs be?
    What can i do to tune this thing in. It seems like it is almost there but doesn't have the power it should. Please help me figure this out.

Thats about the stock RPM range - either you have the wrong pitch impeller on there, or you have pump damage.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

How do I check to find out which it is?

Comment

Inspect the pump for damage, then put a stock prop back on or a KNOWN correct one. Did this happen right after you swapped the prop? Are you sure it's the right one?

Comment

I bought it just like it is now. I have only had it a few days. I'm going to go through the paperwork I got with it and see if I can find what the pitch is. I have no idea if it is the right one or not. I'M leaning towards not! [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]
          I have the stock prop for it and it looks like new.

Comment

The Solas impellor box shows these numbers:
            20-1500
            sc-xo-sd720/800

Does this show the pitch?

Comment

That is an XO pitch 16.5-23.5, which is correct, however they are sometimes off, out of the box. Swap for the stock and see what happens.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. I will try the stock one.

Comment

6700 rpm and 43mph? Buy a new GPS.

At 6700 rpm, a Solas XO will run about 54mph is a GSX hull.
                  Bill O'Neal WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Unless there is pump damage or something is not sealed...

Comment

Bill, I would have to be an idiot not to know the difference between 43 and 54. No, I could tell I wasn't getting it to full speed and that is what caused me to get the GPS out in the first place.
                      Tech, I crawled under the trailer last night and could see a ding on the impeller. As soon as I get ahold of an impeller tool I will pull it apart and give it a good looking at. I bet the guy who had it before me sucked up a rock or something. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

...and there's your cavitation.

Comment

Working...
                        X