Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New engine wont idle - please help

New 720 engine (140 psi both holes).
    Rebuilt carbs (I did the rebuild per the shop manual)
    Replaced all fuel lines (used proper zip ties)
    ignition timing is not perfect, but close.
    followed all shop manual instructions for dialing in the carbs
    hard to start
    RPM's are unsteady
    engine dies.
    poor engine acceleration.
    engine bogs on throttle

Should I go back through the carbs?

Re: New engine wont idle - please help

So I rebuilt the carbs again. This time I squirted them with soapy water during the pop off pressure test and found 3-4 significant leaks in both the carb body and the lines between the two carbs. I thought I found the problem. Put it all together and still won't idle.

There is air in the fuel lines. Should the fuel lines be completely full (no air)?

Comment

try running a fuel line from the carbs to the tank bypassing the filter and the valve, to see if the problem goes away
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Will do. Sounds like a good test. I wont be able to get to it until saturday. But i'll post the results. Thanks

Comment

I tightened all my fuel line hose clamps, filled the gas tank, pinched off the vent, pressurized the fuel system (like the manual says) and sprayed everything down with soapy water. No bubbles and it belched a big fuel burp when I removed the fuel cap. So there are no air leaks in the fuel lines. The fuel lines filled solid with fuel, But It was still hard to start. It ran ok when it finally started. I put a timing light on it and it was out quite a bit. So, next came the fun. I made the tools in the picture. The bar is 1-1/4"x24"x3/16". It held the flywheel while I loosened/torqued the flywheel nut. I also used this bar when tightening the stubby bolt for the flywheel puller. There is no room between the end of the crankshaft and the gas tank on a 1995 seadoo sportster jetboat. Anyway I had to pull the flywheel twice to get the timing dead-nuts on. Now she fires right up and idles pretty good. Still some tweeking to do of idle adjust and low speed fuel mixture. But getting closer. Ready to go to the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160605_15_28_25_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	254188
          Last edited by randyhig; 06-05-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X