old gas & jet inj oil????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old gas & jet inj oil????

lemme make this short. i just bought a 97 gti from a guy. only has 20-25 hrs on it. hasnt been ran for about a year. he took it in and got it tuned up before i bought it. today, when i get it from him, he tells me that the gas in the tank (@ 2/3 full) needs to either be drained or be mixed with the really high octane stuff to be good. what do i do with the gas...professional opinions please... then he gives me this little bottle of jet injection oil and said i should take off 5 or so bolts near the rear of the impeller and lube it up real good since it hasnt been in the water for a year. said it was really easy. or he said a dealer would do it. i just dont want to pay a dealer $50 hr to do it if it really is an easy job. im just not much of a mechanic....so, any and all help is appreciated. thanks.

After 3 months (at most), gas starts to break down and oxidize. It forms a gum and varnish inside your carbs and lines, and deteriorates the diaphragms. The octane level also starts dropping. After a year, it is at a dangerously low level for your engine. If the tank was almost empty, you could get around the octane problem by draining your lines, and filling the tank with premium to bump the average octane level back above 87.

What you really need to do, is get as much gas out of the tank as you can, drain all the lines, and rebuild your carbs - before trying to run it.

Comment

Working...
    X