exhaust bolts keep backing out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust bolts keep backing out

I am having trouble with the exhaust bolts that hold the U-shaped purple exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold on my 94 XP. I have bought new bolts, an dput them in with Loctite and a lock washer and they continually losen and back out after 30 minutes to an hour of riding time. Is there anything else I can use to hold them in there. I really hate to use any epoxies, b/c then I may never be able to get the bolts out again if I need to, but is that my only alternative if loctite deosn't work.

Thanks,
    Kevin

They are coming out due to excessive vibration and you are only curing a result, not the cause.

Check your motor mounts, the pipe mounting bolts and the impeller for damage - anything that will cause vibration.

When did this start becoming an issue?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

it became an issue after I reinstalled the engine from having it out to replace the crank seal. Are you saying I just need to check all those other bolts and make sure that they are tight? THe ski doesn't seem to have any problems runing. I have used it for maybe a total of 5 hours since I put the motor back in and haven't had any troubles other than these bolts backing out.

Thanks,
      Kevin

Comment

I'm going to assume you did not properly re-align the engine at all?

Comment

You are correct, I simply put it back in the way I took it out. I figured since I wasn't changing anything out, that if I put back in where it was before that I would be ok, I guess that is what i get for assuming huh? What do I need to buy to fix my problem, and am I going to end up hurting the engine and drivetrain if I continue to ride it as is?

Thanks,
          Kevin

Comment

Yes you can damage the driveshaft, PTO, bearings, mounts, bolts and threads as you found out...either take it to a dealer for alignment, or rent/buy the tool from us and do it yourself.

Comment

How much does it cost to buy the tool, and/or how does the rental work, do I just give a deposit and then I get that back when the tool is returned.

Comment

$150 to buy. No deposit, $75 for a month's rental. Dealers usually charge around $50, so try that route first if you have one that can get you in and do it.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 97 GS 720. The crank bearings were shot. I snapped about 6 of those exhaust bolts before realizing the real problem.

The excess vibration either loosened or broke bolts on every ride. I finally took it to my dealer who showed me the problem. I had it in to have the motor aligned with the pump. With the drive shaft disconnected, we turned the PTO flywheel and could hear the clacking of the bearings as they loosely rose and fell with every turn of the flywheel.

I wound up installing an SBT engine to resolve the problem.
                  Bob Sadler<br />bobsadler@comcast.net

Comment

I have had no problem with alignment, and i have installed twice without proper allignment.

I just line the bolts up with the washer marks on the mounts where it was torqued down.

Never was an issue.....am i asking for trouble?

Note: never removed the motor mounts, just unbolted the engine from them.

Comment

If it's the same engine and you can clearly see the marks, much less of a chance of a problem. If it's a different engine, or you don't know EXACTLY where it was, or you changed a mount - you are taking a risk, yes.

Comment

Thanks tech, i'm safe then.

Comment

Working...
                        X