92 xp short runs only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 92 xp short runs only

I have a 96xp that is doing the same thing but it is intermittent. Sometimes it will cut off 6 to 8 times but usually it will stay lit after that and I can ride for as long as I want as long as I don't cut it off. Then the same scenario plays out again. I think that there is something wrong with the timer in the mpem. Rumor has it that there is a timer in the mpem that cuts power to the electronics if the engine isn't running within 15 to 30 seconds after the start button is pressed. The only other thing I can think of is that the circuit in the ignition module that communicates with the mpem may be intermittent. When operating in a failure mode, this would make the mpem think that the engine is not running. Trying to figure these things out will drive you nuts but if you stick with it you'll get it. I will let you know if I figure out what's wrong with mine.

Later

Comment

Re: 92 xp short runs only

That sounds like a very poor ground wire. Check the wire that goes from the coil box to the negative side of the battery. Sometimes that wire looks good from outside the sheath but is corroded inside of the sheath. Also, the big negative cable connected to the motor up by the starter will get a bad connection or be corroded inside the sheath. Running extra ground wires is a very good way to know if these problems exist, and it is nice to have backup ground wires anyway.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
      X