99 XPL only runs with start button pressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 XPL only runs with start button pressed

As soon as I let off the start button, the motor dies. Bill O'Neal just did a rebuild on this, but he has no idea what would cause this. Any help appreciated. 2 hrs on rebuilt motor. Battery is new. Compression is good.

Oh man, I've seen this before - I'll try to dig up the solution...

Comment

Replace the throttle cable.... There is a sensor in the middle of the cable for throttle position, for ignition timing and for RAVE opening and it is broke, or is worn, and will cause exactly this problem. Replace the cable, properly adjust the slack on all parts of the cable, and the problem is solved
      John Kubiak
      Powersports Technical Training Professional
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

THAT was it! Hehehe [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]/graemlins/cwm27.gif[/img]

Comment

John,
          What is the correlation between the cable TPS and the stop button? I'm not doubting the cure, just curious as to the cause.

Ray, before you replace the cable, pull the front glove box out of the hood. Underneath it is a bunch of wires and the throttle cable. On the cable is a bullet shaped adjuster. Try adjusting it to another position, then test it again. Those cables aren't cheap. I'm not sure if that will help, but it is worth a try.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Bill, I do beleive I was told that the switch fails and eliminates the less than 80% signal from the MPEM input, when this happens, the MPEM gets confused, and shuts off. During starting the MPEN sends a different, retarded ignition trigger to get engine to start easily. Once you let of the button, there is no trigger signal, so the engine shuts down, as if you pulled the lanyard.
            John Kubiak
            Las Vegas, Nevada
            Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Thanks John,
              This is the first time I have had someone ask me this question, and I have never experenced this paticuliar problem.

There is a test to perform on the TPS. It must produce 5 volts at different settings, showing that it works. Using the adjuster on the cable, you can make it send the 5 volts at the correct time to the MPEM, which retards the motor.

As I had adjusted his cable when he had his boat in my shop, I suggested that he try re-adjusting it before he spent the money on a new cable.

Thanks for the imput John.
              Bill O'Neal WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Not going to believe this one guys. I triied for 4 days every trick Bill O'Neal and John Kubiak suggested, with no change...it still only ran with the start button depressed....died like I pulled the lanyard when I let go of the button. Just as I was getting ready to get online and order the $160 throttle cable (can you believe that!!), I decided to do the last thing I did before the ski stopped running...disconnect & reconnect the battery. The **** thing ran like one of Bill's rebuilds always does..purrs like a kitten WITH MY HAND OFF THE STARTER!!! Just thought I'd pass this back to Bill & John for a future Seadoo owner who has this problem. Now I can go TEAR UP San Diego Bay again!! Ray (SMILING again!) Hinton

[ August 29, 2002, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Ray Hinton ]

Comment

Gee, I guess the last eight skis with the throttle cable causing the same problem that came through my shop when I was a service manager were just a figment of my imagination! Imagine that, and Sea-Doo paid for the repairs, especiailly since they directed them!
                  John Kubiak
                  Las Vegas, Nevada
                  Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

John, Don't you just LOVE watercraft. Kinda like the female species...... Definately doesn't always make sense. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

John,

You were right about the throttle cable. It worked for 2 days then went back to not working unless starter button was pressed. Got a new cable ($185!!!) and all is good!! Thanks again John!!!

Ray Hinton
                      San Diego

Comment

Thank you very much for coming back and giving an update - too mant times repairs work and are never reported for other's info!

Comment

Hmmm, imagine that!!!! Thanks for posting about your results
                          John Kubiak
                          Las Vegas, Nevada
                          Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

TPS failuire very common on 99 951s espically XPLs because the connection is not sealed and water gets into the circut board and shorts it out (located under oil tank).

This can be prevented by smearing the connection with grease.

2000 version TPS changed.

Just another example of Bombardier not testing their products before releasing to the customer and not standing behind their product after the one year warranty. That 99 TPS problem should be warrantied no matter how long because it was so obvious. As if 99 XPLs don't leak water through the front, har har
                            97 GP1200/99 XPL<br />Head, intake and handling mods on both

Comment

Yea, I called Seadoo and said I have 3 friends that this happpened to and they said I was out-of-warrenty. $185 because they don't seal the unit. 97GP1200, thanks for telling me about the grease trick.
                              Ray Hinton
                              San Diego

Comment

Working...
                              X