Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

95 sea doo SPX are they problematic or..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 sea doo SPX are they problematic or..

I just purchased a 95 sea-doo SPX are there any inherent problems with this particular ski? Is there anything I need to look out for or modify. The ski is 100% stock and has the VTS trim, are there any problems with the trim?? I just want a stock reliable ski to ride and enjoy and was wondering if anyone had any imput on this particular ski. Thanx in advance. I probably should have asked questions before I bought the ski but its too late for that.

Well, no, the 650 is certainly not the most reliable engine Sea-Doo ever made, and yes there are quite a few problems with the trim system. You may see problems with your crank seals sooner than later, requiring a complete rebuild of the engine. The VTS system depends on these crappy little p[lastic worm gears that often stripped out, and the control box has this wonderful, often-not-waterproof seal and you may soon find the box full of rusty electrical connections. I would suggest opneing up your electrical boxes now, and looking for any sort of water problem to head it off.

Comment

The problems with the VTS usually are caused by water getting past the accordian boot on the trim rod back by the pump. Some of those early models used a steel clamp on the rubber boot and it cut through the rubber over time. Install a new boot filled with marine grease and use a tye-wrap to secure the ends. This will solve the water intrusion problem from the backside.

If your hull is full of water from sinking, water has been known to enter the VTS box, and also other boxes in Sea Doo watercraft like the coil box. Whenever you sink a Sea Doo, it is wise to open all of the electrical boxes and spray WD-40 into them to dispel water and protect the electricals.

Following this advice, your VTS can last a lifetime.

A stock 657x motor can run a long time. I have several customers with good running boats older than yours. It is more about proper maintence, using good oils and how little they are abused, than if they will just wear out sooner than later.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

The 95 SPX had the remote cable actuated trim. So, no VTS box.

Its the same as on my 94 XP.

Anyhoo. I think this system is more reliable as the motor and electronics are not below the water line, they are mounted on the left hand side where the fuel selector is on later models. A cable runs to the read to operate the trim.

On another note, I have thought about adding that system to an HX since the motor is remotely mounted.
        -[\/]ac<br /> <a href="http://www.MACSBOOST.com" target="_blank"><B>www.MACSBOOST.com</B></a> Plug in 20+HP for your Honda Turbocharged Watercraft
        <a href="http://www.TeamTweek.com" target="_blank"><B>www.TeamTweek.com</B></a> TeamTweek Watercraft Racing Forums

Comment

supermac is right! the 93xp w/657 that i am working on has the vts motor under the hood with a knob type indicator on the outside that looks like a sea doo gas cap to let you know where the trim is instead of a gauge. this was a first to me, because i am use to seeing the rear trim motor and vts box at the rear, like my 96spx. to me that is a better set up than that of my 96spx! i thought it was pretty cool. maybee i can swap him out! and maybee swap out his 657 magneto, stator, and electrical box for my 720's!!! [img]graemlins/uts.gif[/img]
          cameron "da river rat"<br />3x pro runabout 720 engine blower!<br />(jetskianist~adictionist~modificationist)

Comment

Re: 95 sea doo SPX are they problematic or..

how do you check if its a 720 or 650 engine since they look identical?

Comment

Hope that the engine plate is still there? That's actually a great question and one that I don't think can be answered by not taking the head off to measure the bore. Luckily, the head is an o-ring head, so there are no gaskets to worry about.
              Dan Solie -
              04 RXP (the "Instigator")
              94 xp (freestyle mods)
              95 xp (faster than the 94)
              JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

and another question,are the carbs of the 720 the same as the 650's?

Comment

nope, they both had BN3-38I's... They will have different jetting if you want to look inside.

Answer me this. How many wires are coming from the stator (front housing)? I believe the 657x motor had 5 , while the 717 had 4?
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

well i still dont have a 650,but im planning to get a used one,im not so familiar with it since i only have 800's and 720's,but will the mikuni carb repair kit bns 38,44,46 fit a 650 carb?

and whats it the difference on the 650 and 650x?does the 95 spx have a 650x engine?

Comment

The 95 does have a 657x motor. About 5 more HP and a lot more torque. The cyls are decked and the squish is different. The intake ports are a different shape as well. the elec is completely different with a 5 wire (I beleive) stator for the dual coil setup.
                      Dan Solie -
                      94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Oh and as far as the carb kits yes, the kit for the I SERIES 38 is the one you want.
                        Dan Solie -
                        94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Originally posted by dsolie View Post
                          The 95 does have a 657x motor. About 5 more HP and a lot more torque. The cyls are decked and the squish is different. The intake ports are a different shape as well. the elec is completely different with a 5 wire (I beleive) stator for the dual coil setup.
                          alright..but do they have the same pistons and crankshaft?

Comment

Originally posted by dsolie View Post
                            Oh and as far as the carb kits yes, the kit for the I SERIES 38 is the one you want.
                            so i can use the sbn 38,44,46 carb repair kit on the carbs on the 650x?

Comment

Nope
                              Dan Solie -
                              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                              X