96 GTI Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 GTI Problem

HEre is a couple of good ones for you guys. Took the boat out this morning. Ran great for 1 hour or so. Parked it on the beach and let it sit for a while.
    Got back on it and it developed a occasional "sneeze" or backfire through the carbs when accelerating or when running at close to wide open. Would do it once every 30-45 seconds or so. Did not do it at idle.

Next weirdness of the day. PArked it to think about it. Got back on it and found my kid had left the lanyard plugged in. Pulled it off and put it back on .Boat would not start until you let off the start button. It would crank but never catch until button was released. Then i [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img] t would run for 5 seconds and die as if it was turned off.

Could this be something with the DESS system??

Got it home and started it up to flush it and it ran fine. no quitting.

suspect the front carb is a little rich. If this needle was leaking could it cause this "sneeze" problem??

Help !!

Thanks in advance

Smitty

I'm going to suspect a start button assembly going bad for the start problem, and no a leaking needle won't cause high RPM problems, only off-idle. Extra gas will also not cause an intake side backfire, only exuast.

Backfires out the intake are normally way lean conditions or timing/electrical issues. I'll leave the rest to better experts...

Comment

Hmmm..Misfires, goofy DESS lanyard, won't start until you let off the button.

Have you recently jumped the ski with a running vehicle?

In any case it sure sounds like a MPEM problem to me.
      John Kubiak
      Powersports Technical Training Professional
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

IS it possible to test the start buttin?? also wheni ranit at home it didnt misfire and started up normally???.. Any test procedures for this MPEM ??

Is it something a local crook er dealer can test ??

smitty

Comment

No, and no.

If you can duplicate the problem with a pattern you can probably dignose the switch as faulty, but there is no way to test an MPEM for internal faults, unfortunately. It's one of those - replace-and-see deals.

Comment

any way to get a description of what the MPEM is and does???

And whats it cost to replace ???

Thanks

Smitty
            [img]graemlins/oogle.gif[/img]

Comment

The MPEM is the Multi Purpose Electronic Module - the computer. It controls everything, and unfortunately is a few hundred bucks - the best place to get one of you need it (it's the last thing you want to check) is www.epowersports.com

Comment

He has a bad mpem. It costs about $275, I think for that model.
                Bill O'Neal WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Since You mentioned its the last thing I want to check ( or replace) can you outline the steps and what you would check BEFORE replacing this module?? Plan to open the electrical box and check all connections this morning. I also plan to run the boat again on the hose as well as in the water to see if there is a pattern to its acting up.

Any way this could be POSSIBLY due to the fact my kid left the lanyard plugged in on :( :( the boat for a long period of time??

The manual list a series of resistance tests to runon the wires leading into the MPEM. Any chance these would help identify the problem??

Anyone want to buy a 96 GTI cheap ?? Seems like youride in once and work onit twice..

Bummed out

SMitty

Comment

Probelm Solved. Ground Wire for the MPEM unit inside the electricalbox was about to fall off. Tightened it up and test :D ran the boat. All is well. Interesting how the intermittent ground showed itself through an apparent faulty starter switch and misfiring.

Smitty

Comment

Good! That's why I say replace the MPEM as a last resort since it's hundreds of dollars!

It was probably showing up when it did due to vibration.

Comment

Notice that I said a MPEM problem, not a "bad" MPEM?

Many times I have observed problems that seemed to be the MPEM, that were actually caused by poor/loose/corroded connections. Smitty's experience is typical, and shows that you need to look at things with an open eye and mind before you end up spending money needlessly.

I have been told that Approximately 80% of warrantied MPEMs returned to Bombardier Sea-Doo/Ski-Doo division are not defective when tested.

I would surmise that poor/loose connections were to blame in most of these!

Good Job Smitty!!

[ March 31, 2002, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Sea-Doo Tech 13736 ]
                        John Kubiak
                        Las Vegas, Nevada
                        Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Ok, So I look like the dummy here [img]smile.gif[/img]

John and Brian are right. Always check the simple things first.
                          Bill O'Neal WCM
                          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Bill; Nobody said you were a dummy!

Beleive me I have made my fair share of, oh how do you say it, errors.

I'm sure that you would have spotted the wires long before the MPEM was swapped out, and I know you would have retested it before replacing it!!

[ March 31, 2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Sea-Doo Tech 13736 ]
                            John Kubiak
                            Las Vegas, Nevada
                            Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

717 Rotax misfire when throttle open almost full

I am not sure whats going on, I have a 96 GTI 717 Rotax that seems to misfire when you get the throttle open almost all the way. We are doing 45 mph on the ski and it seems to start and run fine otherwise, the misfire is only at hight rpms and its very definite, you back off on the throttle and it goes away, go harder on the throttle and its misfire. Is there a rev limiter thats engaginging or is it a simple adjustment on the throttle cable thats aloowing it to open to far causing this problem, any help you can give me would be greatly apprectated. thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                              X