CARB PROBLEMS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARB PROBLEMS??

I recently bought a 96 XP. It is in very good condition but sometimes it starts bogging really bad. When it runs right it screams (54.3 on GPS) but when it is cold or letting off the throttle sometimes it runs really rough and won't plane out. After a minute (sometimes several minutes) it kicks backin and screams. It either runs really good or really bad. I am wondering if I might need a carb rebuild. It is acting like the float is sticking or something. any thoughts on what else it could be?

It is highly likely you need a carb rebuild. While you are rebuilding (whether you do it or have a shop do it) I would recommend purchasing aftermarket flame arrestors with a rejet kit. You will get a more responsive engine and also will have higher reliability due to the richer mix.

You might also want to check the compression on each cylinder. Is the boat stock? If so you should see around 145psi in each.

Comment

The compressionis closer to 150. It also already has an R&D Flame arrestor arom the previous owner. I thought I wouldn't need to rejet if everything else was still stock.?

Comment

Letting off the throttle and it bogs, could be the needles and seats.....check them when you do the carb rebuild.

Would explain it, boggs between low and high circuits..does this make sense to anyone? LOL

Comment

Missed that part..Yes, you need to re-jet if you put aftermarket flame arrestors on.

Missed it again, me having a rough night.

You need to find out if the previous owner re-jetted for the aftermarket flame arrestors.

[ September 19, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

stevepaulus is right. When you add aftermarket flame arrestors you need a rejet kit. Find out if the previous owner did that. If not, damage is being done to the motor from running too lean.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I am going to look into it today.

Comment

Could this be a blockage in the fuel system somewhere? I'd check fuel selector switch, internal and external fuel filters, and all fuel lines for blockage.

Comment

I checked the fuel filter this morning and it had a little bit of black crap in the bottom of it and the screen part looked like it had fallen off into the bowl. If this is the case I wonder if I have some crap that got into my carb. I took it out today and it is the same thing. i pulled the plugs and they look kinda foouled even though they don't have much time on them. I'll put in a new set and try again tomorrow.

Comment

D-Doo,

You may very well need a rebuild..BUT, you still need to find out if the carbs have been re-jetted for the aftermarket flame arrestors, if they have then you probably just need re-builds and to clean them.

Comment

Working...
                    X