No power to anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power to anything

Was out riding and ski died (99 xpl). It blew the 15 amp fuse. Replaced it and it died within seconds of restart, but didnt blow the fuse. Now, it wont do anything. What might this be? Also, is there an online wiring diagram I could look at?

I found this one day out searching for parts..

open to the public.. schematic online

[ June 29, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Cheekster ]

Comment

I had this exact same problem on a 98 xp limited. I replaced the 15 amp fuse and it spun over for a second and quit but it did not blow the fuse again, there is no power at the gauges when you press the start button. Does anyone have any ideas?

[ July 14, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: dthomas00 ]

Comment

Jeez, is this an epidemic or what? Samething happened to my 98 XPL Sunday right before my race got to the line. Man, was I pissed.
        The boat started missing real bad and then just shut down while riding earlier. I found a blown 15 Amp fuse in the front electrical box. Replaced it and was able to start boat and ride back to shore. Thought everything was hunky-dory until I tried to start it before the race. There was NOTHING, no spark, no click, no power to gauges. Looked at the 15 Amp fuse and it was ok. Now what? Well, checked the battery and it is almost completely dead, like 4 volts. Hmmm, put in new battery, 15 amp fuse blows again. This happened after I disconnected the trim motor to take that out in case it was shorted. So, I believe the culprit is a SHORTED STATOR. I do not think it is the rectifier/regulator in the MPEM. That regulates voltage while charging, not while the motor is not running, I believe. There is something in the front magneto cover shorting the system and it drained my battery almost stone cold without blowing the second fuse I put in!

Comment

Wire number 26 is the one that is getting hot and a 15 amp fuse on that wire is blowing. It runs into the magneto can you take the cover off of that to see what is shorting?

Comment

Yes, usually. This happened to me before and I removed the front cover to find a couple small slivers of metal on the stator. I then cleaned it up and it was fine. It's kind of a pain to remove the front cover. Take the pipe off and loosen the motor mount bolts. Then pull up the motor and stick a piece of wood under it to keep the front part up to get to the mag cover bolts.

Comment

Any other updates guys? I took my front motor cover off and found a few pieces of metal from the stator. The coils have a few burn marks and gouges in them. I tried cleaning it up and re=installing it, but the coils are still grounded(per the Sea-Doo manual test). I guess I will go buy a new one. Ouch.

Comment

And while you are there, buy a starter drive gear because the metal you found came off of it. Double ouch.
                Bill O'Neal WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X