96 XP tether key doesn't work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 XP tether key doesn't work.

When I place the key on the post of my 96 XP nothing happens - no beep, lights, etc.

I have swapped the front and rear electical boxes and post with my other 96 XP (that I know works) and still nothing. I have tested the post wiring and starter wiring and still nothing. Is there anything else to test before swapping the wiring harnesses?

Any Ideas??? Thanks.
    Trent

I think the mpem controls the lanyard. I am not positive so maybe tech can help
    <a href="http://www.leximotorsports.com" target="_blank">www.leximotorsports.com</a><br />606 TEAM LEXIMOTORSPORTS<br /> <br /><br />2004 RXP

Comment

The MPEM is in the front electrical box. If that was swapped with the post, and the correct key was used, you should get at least a beep. Make sure it's getting power and the battery is good with full vlotage.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You have a 5 amp fuse in the front electrical box, check that to see if the fuse is still good.
        Also, you may just have a bad ground somewhere.
        Good luck,
        96xper.

Comment

Check to see if the little black wire from the top of the coil box is connected to the negative side of the battery and it is not corroded under the plastic sheath, right by where the connector is attached to it.

The other big ground wire runs up to the starter mounting bolt from the negative post on the battery.

Check to see if the plug is in place that goes into the magneto housing from the front grey electrical box.

Make sure the lanyard post connector is plugged in correctly. It goes to the grey box too.

Check all fuses front and rear.

Make sure the battery is not shorted out internally and not putting out any voltage.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X