97xp only one beep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97xp only one beep

One long beep means it is not accepting the lanyard code.
    The dealer should fix it. He either doesn't know how to program keys or the MPEM he sold you is bad, or the lanyard post or key is bad.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

my friends 97xp was taken to the dealer and had a new mpem, dess post and dess hooked up to it (was bought from an insurance company real cheap) and when the dealer (joe harrison motor sports of san antonio, auth. sea doo dealer) told him that when they try to code the new lanyard it only makes one beep and its supose to make two beeps. and they said it has a short in it somewhere.

and since he already sunk around $800 into it he said he would like to find whats wrong with it since he does not wanna pay by the hour for them to try and find out what it is.

any suggestions??? it has a new battery. what should i look for??? they installed the new parts but could not get it to work.

thanks
    cameron "da river rat"<br />3x pro runabout 720 engine blower!<br />(jetskianist~adictionist~modificationist)

Comment

ok, he bought all the parts brand new, oem. so i dont think its the mpem but i did not put the new dess post in because i dont know how to wire it in to the connector???

when i press the start button down it powers up the vts and gauge and im able to move it up and down. if i hold the start button down long enough and let off of it, it will beep one short beep and then a longer beep right after it. kinda like beep+beeeeeep.

that is with the new mpem and the old dess post but they should code the dess post to the new mpem and then the lanyard to it should'nt they?

how long should i have to hold the start button down for it to beep twice? sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt but maybee im not doing it right but i dont see anything wrong with it like the dealer said.

oh yeah, how do i check the dess post and lanyard to see if thats the culprit? the lanyard is brand new along with the mpem and i have a new dess post just in case.

[ July 04, 2003, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: cameron da river rat ]
      cameron "da river rat"<br />3x pro runabout 720 engine blower!<br />(jetskianist~adictionist~modificationist)

Comment

ok, disregard previous post, problem is solved so i hope.

the new dess post was never installed on the ski, just the mpem and lanyard. i performed a continuity test on the current dess post in the ski. i disconnected the connector at the mpem and went to perform the test and got nothing. so i tested the new dess post and it worked great. but then looking at the new dess post i thought how is this new dess post with these short wires supose to reach all the way to the mpem??????

so i went to hlsm.com and looked at the microfiche and found that there is a connector in the hood. well i went back outside (still new to 97xp's, this is the first i've worked on) and low and behold someone forgot to connect the connector under the little storage compartment. i then went to do a continuity test and it worked great! :D

there is only two problems, i took out the white wire with the gray stripe and the black wire with the yellow stripe from the connector that goes to the mpem and i forgot which went where in the holes??? i know the two holes they came out of but which is what??? i hooked the white wire in the corner of the connector and the black one next to it so if anyone knows where the two go that would help me or i can just find out the hard way. :(

the second thing is i still dont understand the two beeps thing????

Comment

You are going to have to look at a schematic in a service manual to see where those wire go in the connector. I would assume oppisite of the matching wire in the other half of the connector. I don't remember.

Two beeps is heard when you first attach the lanyard to the lanyard post, as a sign that the ignition is activated and it is ready for you to press the start button and start the ski. The two beeps tell you that you have the correct lanyard on the post, not the lanyard from your buddies boat that is not programmed for your boat. If you put the wrong lanyard onto your boat, you will get one longer beep, telling you that your computer is not accepting that lanyard.

It has nothing to do with pressing the starter button. There is a series of differnt beep codes when depressing the stop/start button that can be used to diagnose a problem. To know which series of beeps mean what, read a service manual. In the manual is a chart telling you what the codes mean. But, from my experence, they are usually wrong most of the time anyway. It is a very general troubleshooting guide.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

You can get into the advanced diagnostic mode by pushing the start/stop button 5 times, then put the lanyard on. If it starts, it thinks everything is OK. If it gives some combination of beeps they will lead you to what it thinks the problem is. It'll be a combination of long and short beeps. But like Bill says there is a good chance it's wrong.
            Dick Bell
            http://www.hansenskidoo.com

Comment

ok, i did the ohm test as stated in the manual and the dess post to the connector is fine. but the dealer said what bill said. when its ready to get coded it will give one long beep. only problem is that when i put the lanyard on i get no beeps at all????? i swaped the two wires and still get nothing. is there any way i can view some wireing diagnostics/shematics/microfiche or somthing to show where the three wires go to the switch for the lanyard? this ski is not mine or else i would by a repair manual for it.

thanks................

Comment

ok, i got one beep. it was a problem in the connector to the mpem. is there any use for the old mpem?

thanks for the replys....................

Comment

Put it in the for sale forum here at SBT forums, or on E-Bay.
                  Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Working...
                  X