Excessively High Idle During Flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessively High Idle During Flushing

I remember this in a previous post, but couldn't find it in a search. I am seeing excessively high idle speeds and a tendancy for my '98 GSX-L to run away during the flushing step. I think previous posts stated an air leak, but I don't see how that is possible. I am not showing an signs of being lean in the cylinders. Plug chops look right on the money.

Is there any possibility that this has something to do with the residual heat in the engine. After I first reworked the engine in the ski, I didn't have this problem. It is only since I started jacking with the carbs that it seems to have developed.

What is the deal??? BTW, I have recently adjusted the throttle cable and it is loose at idle at the carbs.

[ July 05, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: dean thompson ]

Assuming you aren't turning the fuel switch off or anything like that, try turning your low speed screws out 1/8th a turn and see if it improves - a slightly lean low speed out of the water for more than a minute can do that on a 951.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It will do it in a few seconds if it is too lean.... But as the motor heats up, it only gets worse.

[ July 06, 2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Bill O'Neal ]
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I know how high speed plug chops are supposed to be done, but let me ask a question. If I did have a lean condition at idle, wouldn't I see it on a removed plug? My plugs look great after idleing onto the trailer after a 10 minute no wake zone.

I pulled 1/4 turn off of my LSSs after the ski was really loading up during idle. I am currently at 1-1/4 turns out with 85 pilots.

Comment

1/4 turn is alot. Try opening them 1/8th.

You must adjust the idle screw when changing position of the low speed adjusters too.

Set it to 2800 rpm out of the water.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X