VTS fuse blows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VTS fuse blows

I have a 97'GSX. Every once in awhile the fuse in the fuse box to the VTS blows. The fuse has been replaced twice with the same size fuse, but seems to blow at times. This only happens maybe 1 out of 5 times i put the ski in the water. No other fuses have ever blown. What do you think the problem could be. Thanks as always for the quick response.

I think you could be about to buy a new VTS unit as the old one is dying. In the meantime, remove the VTS motor cover, make sure it's nice and dry in there. Also unbolt the motor and check the VTS worm is turning freely (might be tight overloading motor and blowing fuse) and well lubricated. Make sure you put the cover seal back on carefully when replacing the lid.

Comment

Common problem if you find water in the box is the shaft boot by the pump in the back. The metal clamps have cut a hole in the boot. Replace with a new boot and plastic clamps

Comment

I have not seen any water in the box or any real sign that water has been in the box..This rarely happens when it does(the fuse blowing i mean). Anyone have any other ideas that i can try, i just dont want any major damage to the vts by the fuse not bllowing and a problem still existing and the whole thing shorting out. Thanks

Comment

Did you try my suggestions above??????

Comment

Replace the 7.5 amp fuse with a 10 amp fuse. I know you are not susposed to do this, but I have done it several times and never had another problem from doing it. I think some VTS motors just draw too much amperage. Maybe something in the worm gear/rod is binding up?
            Bill O'Neal WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
            X